Mac Laptop Home Recording Studio Compatibility

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A few years ago, I set up a home studio on a PC. It was very difficult to make work. My components are: Nuendo Audio Link 96 (with PCI Card) and a Yamaha O1V digital mixer. I was using Cubase SX on my PC and I had to spend ALOT of time trying to figure out how to get all the components to talk to each other. Especially the part where my digital mixer controlled the DAW.

Now, I am thinking about buying Pro Tools and a Mac laptop. I want to try to understand how difficult it is to set up an audio interface with the MAC using Pro Tools.

Have there been any advances in home recording techonology that makes it more plug and play with Pro Tools on the Mac?

Supposedly, my AudioLink 96 digiset break-out box is MAC compatible. I would like to reuse this break-out box, but right now I have a PCI card for the Audio interface. Can I use this component with a new Mac with just fire-wire connection without the PCI card?

Sorry for the erratic questions... just wondering if it's smart for me to contiue to try to integrate my existing components (Nuendo Audio Link 96 Digiset w/ PCI card and the O1V, or should I ditch this old stuff and just get a different audio interface that works better with a Mac laptop with protools.)

Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    resres Posts: 711member
    To run ProTools you have to use Digidesign interfaces (or M-Audio hardware for Pro Tools M-Powered). That is why I went with logic Pro, it gives you a lot more options.