iTunes 3 brings CPU load down to ...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
down to amazing 10% :eek: :eek:

iTunes 2 had always around 20% CPU load.

nice !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    That's cool. Might get even better under 10.2
  • Reply 2 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    yeah, who knows ?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    What are your system specs? Does CPU usage drop further when you minimize the player?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    snowstersnowster Posts: 68member
    You should also check the frame rate of the visuals in iTunes 3... Very nice!

-Snowster
  • Reply 5 of 13
    PowerMac G4 AGP

CPU usage stays the same avg. 10%

framerate is 50 frames on my main monitor and only 15 frames on my second...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>PowerMac G4 AGP

CPU usage stays the same avg. 10%

framerate is 50 frames on my main monitor and only 15 frames on my second...</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you look at the options, iTunes 3 has an option for OpenGL accelerated visuals. what are these monitors hooked up to?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Also radio stations come on much faster... even if there was an ad for a supplier of... "adult" stuff before the station came in. Only lasted for about 20 secs. When will an update for the iPod come along? iTunes automatically put an album into the 60s file!

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Yes, I suspect the lowered CPU usage has something to do with compiling as a Mach-O binary and use of the new gcc (this, however, is not directly observable).

edit: after re-reading this, I think I may have worded this a little strangely. Here's a clarification:

Mach-O? CONFIRMED!!

new gcc? unconfirmable.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Yes, I suspect the lowered CPU usage has something to do with compiling as a Mach-O binary and use of the new gcc (this, however, is not directly observable).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope so. That means many more apps will become more efficient effectively speeding the processor up.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Same here. CPU usage went from 15-20% down to 7-11%.

Might just be in my head, but sound quality seems improved also. Settings are all the same, but everything seems a bit more clear and dynamic. But it's hard to say this for sure.

All in all, a very worthwhile download! Thanks Apple!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>If you look at the options, iTunes 3 has an option for OpenGL accelerated visuals. what are these monitors hooked up to?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where is the OpenGL option...I can't find it...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

If you look at the options, iTunes 3 has an option for OpenGL accelerated visuals. what are these monitors hooked up to?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The option for OpenGL is checked.

My main Monitor is a 15" TFT with 1024*768 pixels, hooked up to an ATI RADEON (Retail) AGP, and my second monitor (19" CRT with 1280* 1024) is hooked up to a ATI RADEON (Retail) PCI Graphics Card.

(You'll find the option for OpenGL if you activate the effects and click the top right button)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    hmm, very weird, I couldn't see a CPU-load-reduction at all. iTunes 3 still hogs 7-25% of my CPU, exactly as in iTunes 2...grrr!

This is both when iTunes is the frontmost application, and hidden...

(G4 466, enough RAM )