Changing VNC Port # to a different port in Tiger?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Using the built in VNC server in Tiger, I want to change my wife's computers default port from 5900 to 5901, that way I can access both our computers across the router (port forward).

Anyone know how to change the default server port or am I going to have to get a thrid party VNC server for her computer?

TIA!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Wouldn't changing the forwarded port suffice?

5900 -> your address -> 5900

5901 -> wife's address -> 5900
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Wouldn't changing the forwarded port suffice?

5900 -> your address -> 5900

5901 -> wife's address -> 5900

That is the thing. We are both behind the router.

I think I see what you are saying.

I use Chicken of the VNC so I would change my display to 1 instead of 0 and it would look for 5901 and then forward 5901 to my wifes 5900.

I'll give that a shot. If that works, that is so simple it hurts.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

That is the thing. We are both behind the router.

Yeah, but doesn't the router let you select different ports?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Yeah, but doesn't the router let you select different ports?

Yeah, it does. The problem I am wondering about is having Chicken of the VNC going out on 5901. I will test that out tonight.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    This does not work on my LinkSys Router.

The problem is that I can only forward the port to the same port on any ip address.

Example: If I forward port 5901 in the router, 5901 goes to Wifes IP address. I can't forward port 5901 in the router to port 5900 on wife's computer.

So, is there any way to change the defalt port in my wife's VNC server to 5901?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    The built-in remote desktop vnc requires 5900 and that can not be changed.

Try downloading OSXVNC. That allows you to change the VNC display port.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I've never understood why it is that you can only forward a specific port to one IP address. After all, doesn't everybody behind the router connect to the internet over port 80?

Since port forwarding is just allowing certain IPs to bypass the firewall, you'd think all you'd have to do is disable the firewall on the router. But no, I'm pretty sure that doesn't work either.

The only solutions I came across are the following:

You could connect one over UDP and another over TCP - not sure if VNC needs both.

You could get two public IPs from your ISP.

You could set up a 3rd computer as a server and forward ports to it and then connect your two individual machines through it.

You might be just as well going with the hint in the previous post. For one thing, VNC is horrible under OS X. I ran the built in VNC server on a quad G5 because OSXVNC was too slow and I hooked it up to a powerbook over a direct 100MBps ethernet connection and it was barely usable at 800x600 256 colours.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    With my MBP logging into my iMac G5 on my 100 Mbs lan, it flies. Over the internet, it sucks. I can't get my MBP to log in with 256 colors. It craps out on me.

Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

I've never understood why it is that you can only forward a specific port to one IP address. After all, doesn't everybody behind the router connect to the internet over port 80?

Since port forwarding is just allowing certain IPs to bypass the firewall, you'd think all you'd have to do is disable the firewall on the router. But no, I'm pretty sure that doesn't work either.

The only solutions I came across are the following:

You could connect one over UDP and another over TCP - not sure if VNC needs both.

You could get two public IPs from your ISP.

You could set up a 3rd computer as a server and forward ports to it and then connect your two individual machines through it.

You might be just as well going with the hint in the previous post. For one thing, VNC is horrible under OS X. I ran the built in VNC server on a quad G5 because OSXVNC was too slow and I hooked it up to a powerbook over a direct 100MBps ethernet connection and it was barely usable at 800x600 256 colours.