Need help copying a file to the first partition

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I installed OpenBSD 3.9 (dual boot w/ Tiger) on my iBook and I need to copy the file 'ofwboot' to the first partition of 'wd0' so I can boot into OpenBSD, but I am not sure how. If the first partition is the partition OS X is installed on where do I copy the file?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

I installed OpenBSD 3.9 (dual boot w/ Tiger) on my iBook and I need to copy the file 'ofwboot' to the first partition of 'wd0' so I can boot into OpenBSD, but I am not sure how. If the first partition is the partition OS X is installed on where do I copy the file?

Root directory, i.e., straight onto the hdd icon at the top right of your screen. Usually called Macintosh HD. Just outta curiosity, why on earth would you want to install OpenBSD? I mean, at least it isn't linux, but still, why?

-t
  • Reply 2 of 2
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tag Me Back

Root directory, i.e., straight onto the hdd icon at the top right of your screen. Usually called Macintosh HD. Just outta curiosity, why on earth would you want to install OpenBSD? I mean, at least it isn't linux, but still, why?

-t

I really wanted to install FreeBSD so I could use the GNUstep environment since it and Cocoa, which I am learning, are "kissing cousins", and I find the NeXT desktop interesting so I wanted to play around with it. Those plans fell through when I found out FreeBSD is not fully supported on PPC, and while OpenBSD is, GNUstep is "unsupported, obsolete" on OpenBSD.

While reading about OpenBSD on its web site and looking at the different packages and ports I decided to install it so I can tinker around with it. At the very least I will have a UNIX system I can use to learn about the inner workings of a BSD OS without screwing up my every day OS.