Shuffle 2 -- the mockup

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I reckon the shuffle will be the next to be updated. The current version has had its time.

Possible features:

- FM radio

- Wireless earphones

- Organic LED display, with a scroll bar overlay (see my mockup)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mambo06

I reckon the shuffle will be the next to be updated. The current version has had its time.

Possible features:

- FM radio

- Wireless earphones

that's pretty hot...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Possible features:

- FM radio

- Wireless earphones

FM radio and OLEDs seem within the spectrum of possibility, but I can't see Apple adding wireless headphones in the near future--it would suck battery life dry, and the shuffle definitely won't get features that iPods themselves don't have long before.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Cool mockup, but there is still the age old question of whether the shuffle will be updated at all or just dropped. Also, an FM radio seems very un-Apple now, and wireless headphones are quite unlikely for a shuffle. My £0.02. Great mock-ups though!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Those look cool, but OLED's don't last long enough.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lust

Those look cool, but OLED's don't last long enough.

If they will last as long as the battery, long past the 90 day warrenty, and the price is no more than they are today then to most people it will be "Throw Away" technology and won't matter. Not sure if the could do the wireless option, but I think this could be a good seller even with wired ear buds.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Cool marketing pitch...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    There already is an iPod flash-based player with a display; it's called the nano. The shuffle is for ultra-low-cost and ultra-low amounts of music (which is why the display isn't essential).

You are seriously overthinking the problem. The shuffle succeeds precisely because its simplicity; precisely because it has so shockingly few features. It'll get cheaper and cheaper. It won't get higher-capacity. Eventually, as nanos become cheap enough, the shuffle will just go away.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I like the design.

but I'd like it to retain a bit of the old design in it too, but I don't know how that's possible. I like the look of the current shuffle's static wheel button thingy.

I doubt fm and wireless(maybe, maybe fm) but I'd like to see yet another slight price drop and have the capacity stay the same.

Then the new nanos can be 2,4,8 gigs or 2,6,12 gigs.

Nice mockup thou I really like it I just wish there was a happy medium between this an the current shuffle design without raising the unit's cost.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The great thing about the shuffle is that it is possible to operate it without ever looking at it. I can quickly determine "play", "pause", "forward", "backward", even when the shuffle is hiding under my t-shirt, which is how I use mine while running.

For me, the shuffle is perfect as is, except for the sliding switch on the back... too thin and difficult to get a good solid lock in position. If they would only improve that aspect of it I'd gladly buy another.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mambo06mambo06 Posts: 23member
    Thanks for the lovely replies about the design! Yes, I think the features perhaps portray something more likely to be in the more expensive iPods, but I still enjoyed thinking them up.

Quote:

The great thing about the shuffle is that it is possible to operate it without ever looking at it. I can quickly determine "play", "pause", "forward", "backward", even when the shuffle is hiding under my t-shirt, which is how I use mine while running.

I did take that into account, because that's what I like about mine too. It's actually very similar because it would use gestures, i.e.

- tap it to play/pause

- press for 3 seconds to hold

- slide width ways to change the volume

- slide length ways to change the track

Quote:

There already is an iPod flash-based player with a display; it's called the nano. The shuffle is for ultra-low-cost and ultra-low amounts of music (which is why the display isn't essential).

It is a different kind of screen... it's there if you need to use it. Plus its still shuffle size.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    i cant see the picture.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Try this link:

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/7...emockupzm5.png

thanks! I think imageshack.us is blocked by my company's server. I'll have to see the picture at home.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I also find the "cut here" idea quite humorous
  • Reply 15 of 16
    chirhochirho Posts: 50member
    wireless headphones will never happen. you really wanna have a battery dangling from your buds?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    sony ericsson came out with some really nice ones that are small and the part that hangs is quite light weight.