Low end Mac Pro vs. dual 2GHz Powermac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering if the low end Mac Pro model will be a significant speed bump from the dual 2.0GHz G5 Powermac. Or will it take one of the more expensive higher end models to see an appreciable difference in performance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I would imagine that their new computers will fare pretty fairly against a 3 year old G5, yes.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I wouldnt think too significant. Dont expect 2-3X times faster. Apple may advertise 2X, but as Macworld tests showed, the new iMac is only on average 30% faster.

So I'm guessing a realworld 40% jump.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

I wouldnt think too significant. Dont expect 2-3X times faster. Apple may advertise 2X, but as Macworld tests showed, the new iMac is only on average 30% faster.

Well, if Apple were to advertise 2x faster, they'd be advertising it as 2x a computer that is significantly faster than his. Besides, the new iMac is a lot faster than 30% for most tasks.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think that in "teh snappeh" the Mac Pros will be out of this world, and for raw speed they'll be 50% faster than the G5.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    amackamack Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Don't forget the current iMac is core duo whereas the mac pro will be core 2 duo or zeon and judging by recent benchmarks on all the tech sites conroe is much more impressive than yonah .....can't wait!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

I was wondering if the low end Mac Pro model will be a significant speed bump from the dual 2.0GHz G5 Powermac. Or will it take one of the more expensive higher end models to see an appreciable difference in performance.

I agree with the others, I would expect it to. Heck, on many tests, 2.0GHZ MacBook Pros are at least as fast, if not faster than the dual 2.0 G5. And the Conroes have a lot faster bus and faster memory than the MBP. It does depend on what it's doing though, if the load is unequal, such as one computer running the program natively and another running it through emulation, then the second one is at a disadvantage.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Anybody that's trying to decide which to get should look at the software they want to run. In my case, I knew Avid won't have support for Intel Macs for a while still, so I went with a Power Mac G5 back in March.

Power Macs are still very viable machines.