OS 9 won't boot, but Classic is okay?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.9 on a 400 MHz sawtooth powermac. Classic works fine.

However, I just tried to boot up in OS 9.2 to do something that doesn't work in Classic, and the computer just hung (it worked fine last time i needed it, maybe a month ago). It's a repeatable error. My way back to OS X has been to use the installation CD, run Disk Utility, then select OS X under 'Startup Disk'.

I guess i have to re-install OS 9.2.whatever-that-last-release-was. Is there any special procedure, given that I've got OS X running on the same (UNpartitioned) hard drive?

Thanks all, -Angus

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    The easiest way to reinstall Classic Mac OS is to copy the System Folder from a Panther DVD (it's there in hidden folders named like OS9General.dmg or Classic.dmg). It doesn't affect Mac OS X.

I'm 99.9% sure that you can as well just boot from a Mac OS 9.2 CD and install it the usual way.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks Costique.

I guess if i overwrite/replace the System Folder over from the installation disk, I lose all my settings though?

Maybe it'd be quicker in the long run to run the installer?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I'm embarrasssed to admit that those files were so well hidden that I couldn't reveal them. So I downloaded the last OS 9.2.2 release fom the Apple site. I ran the installer from within Classic on OS X. No improvement, and in fact there was a hairy moment on re-booting when the computer couldn't even find the OS X system on my boot disk to re-boot.

Classic still runs fine, but the computer hangs when trying to boot up in 9.2.2

Should I re-install the OS 9.2.2 by making an installation disk and re-booting from that? If I do so, can I be sure that I'll not damage the OS X installation? My boot disk is NOT partitioned.

Thanks again,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by costique

The easiest way to reinstall Classic Mac OS is to copy the System Folder from a Panther DVD (it's there in hidden folders named like OS9General.dmg or Classic.dmg). It doesn't affect Mac OS X.

I'm 99.9% sure that you can as well just boot from a Mac OS 9.2 CD and install it the usual way.