i want your input

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am getting a Macbook and I'd like to buy it this week; however...

Should I wait for a revision to fix some of the problems?

Is black worth the extra cost over white? Whate are the drawbacks/benefits of each?

Can I upgrade the HD myself without voiding the warranty (i.e. is there a break seal anywhere)?

Can I fix the overheating by applying additional thermal paste? Also, is there a break seal?

Are there break seals anywhere on the computer (ram, processor, ect)?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bookmacbookmac Posts: 15member
    Well, speaking for myself, I thought the black Macbook looked a little cheesy. If the black plastic was glossy like the white Macbooks, I would have scooped one up that day.

It just looks...ugh. I wouldn't choose it even if it were the same price as the white one. That's just me though. You'd have to see it for yourself.

As for the innards. I haven't opened it up, so I can't speak for any seals, but the Ram and Hard drive slots are easy to upgrade. Your warranty should be okay (for Ram and HDD).
  • Reply 2 of 9
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    In general, people seem to prefer to flat black vs. a glossy black (think Nano with about 20 times the surface area... finger prints and smudges everywhere). You should do a search on the forum for your other questions. Everything you have asked about has been covered extensively over the few months the MacBooks have been out.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I have a black macbook and love it. The extra $ for black is just that, for black. If you have the money and like the look then go for it.

You can easily upgrade the hard drive, but obviously your new hard drive / ram won't be covered under apples warranty. The ram/hd are user replacable.

Originally people were saying there was too much thermal paste. I don't have a bad head problem. My girlfriend just got a macbook and I was using her old powerbook and experience similar heat.

Should you wait? I don't have any problems with mine, in fact I think it is the best notebook they have come out with. Go for it now!

I'm not sure on the processor seals, I doubt there is. If you do something and break it though, they will probably know when you send it in. (i.e. striped screws, etc.).
  • Reply 4 of 9
    #1. The problems are overstated. People with problems are far more likely to post then those without any. So no need to wait.

#2. There's no drawback or benefit to either, save for aesthetic taste.

#3. Yes, you can upgrade the harddrive. here is a guide to doing it.

#4. Again, the problem is overstated. You're almost guaranteed to get a MacBook without heat problems.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Here is the reality about the Macbook heat issue.

http://www.krischeonline.com/staticp...p?page=macbook

The Macbook is no hotter than a comparable Dell with the same processor.

For various reasons Mac people are complaining about this more than PC people.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well I am using my Dell since my MacBook is sitting in Memphis with it's repair on hold due to parts back order so I am not a good person to ask. I called Apple and very politely asked what was going on. The response was, there is no eta on the parts and the repair will be done when it's done. WTF?!!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Here is the reality about the Macbook heat issue.

http://www.krischeonline.com/staticp...p?page=macbook

The Macbook is no hotter than a comparable Dell with the same processor.

For various reasons Mac people are complaining about this more than PC people.

I think the reality is that that hot corner is more significant to perceived heat than the average heat is. That corner is actually the part that is bugging me the most.

Also, reports vary on how hot the internal temperatures get. My MBP's reported internal temperature is about 10 C higher those reported by the people that say there isn't a heat problem. It isn't a problem for stability, but it is a lot more uncomforable than my previous notebook, so much so that I don't use the MBP much anymore.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ppp1182

I am getting a Macbook and I'd like to buy it this week; however...

Should I wait for a revision to fix some of the problems?

Is black worth the extra cost over white? Whate are the drawbacks/benefits of each?

Can I upgrade the HD myself without voiding the warranty (i.e. is there a break seal anywhere)?

Can I fix the overheating by applying additional thermal paste? Also, is there a break seal?

Are there break seals anywhere on the computer (ram, processor, ect)?

Thanks everyone!

with all those qualifiers are you sure its a macbook you want?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ppp1182ppp1182 Posts: 19member
    I ordered a white MacBook a couple days ago. Here is what I can report:

There are no longer any discoloration problems.

The computer will not be as hot as my 2.4 GHz P4M Dell (will also burn legs)

There are no break seals, so you can upgrade the ram and HD to your hearts content.

I have already ordered myself 2GB of Ram and a 100GB 7200rpm Seagate drive. The whole endeavor cost $380, which is a lot less than buying it set up that way from Apple (a serious concern when you are living on school loans...lots of school loans).

Thanks everyone!