iPod Sound Quality

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I've had my 5th gen ipod for a while now and up until recently i've been loving it. One thing i'm not so pleased with however is the way all my songs distort if i have any EQ on.

The files i'm playing are rips i've made from my cd collection in iTunes. They don't distort when played through my amp and speakers on my computer. I thought it was the headphones, the original ipod ones do it so i got myself some Sony in-ear ones, these cost me around £30, these still distorted so i got hold of some Shure E3c headphones which were like £140 and it's still distorting. I can use the Jazz eq but anything else to add a bit of bass and it's distorting again.

Just in case it was the files i dug out my old Creative Nomad Zen and put them on that, guess what, no problems at all....

Is there anyone out there that has any idea what is wrong with the thing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    benjbenj Posts: 68member
    They all do it i assume- I think it's a problem they are trying to address for the next iPod updater.

BENj
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I can't see it being something they will fix in an update to be honest... It sucks to be honest because with the eq turned off the sound quality isn't /that/ great. :-(
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Trust me this is a problem with the digital sound compression in the firmware- the bass frequencies are not being compressed adequately enough therefore distorting the low end frequencies while the EQ is switched on. This will be easy to fix in a future ipod updater.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Well, why has it been nearly a year (for me) without a fix.... by the time it actually gets fixed they will have a new ipod out, and to be honest i can't see myself buying that if they don't care enough to fix a major problem with the one i currently own.

Bad Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    mine works fine. no problems what so ever.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by mbaynham

mine works fine. no problems what so ever.

Good for you. A very helpful post that is. Well done.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Good for you. A very helpful post that is. Well done.

why thank you, anything to help
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

why thank you, anything to help

D*ck head.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

D*ck head

har har... bloody londoners...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

har har... bloody londoners...

LOL Don't tell me you're a northener? That would explain a lot!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    nar, i live bout 10 miles from oxford, nd about 50 miles from london, so no
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

nar, i live bout 10 miles from oxford, nd about 50 miles from london, so no

That's north enough for me. Just looked at your profile. Watch out, if your teacher sees you posting on here you'll get in trouble!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    i no... its not my fault

• Reply 14 of 17
    anyway how is about 30 miles north far enough? neway dont you have a job or anything?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

anyway how is about 30 miles north far enough? neway dont you have a job or anything?

Shut up and get back to school you muppet.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    er, wot season is it? summer? need any more clues as to why i am not at skool? cliff richard song? where he mentions holidays in the summer? lol
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Both you southerners! Get a grip and get back on topic (slapped wrists and a banging of heads together)

Love

The Northerner

PS

Happy to help!