Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse now available

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It's now official! Available for $69!

Only on the US Apple site at least...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple on Tuesday officially took the wrappings off its wireless Mighty Mouse, a new version of its popular multi-button mouse made wireless.

The device offers a reliable, secure connection to Macs and features a new laser tracking engine that is 20 times more sensitive than standard optical mice for better tracking on even more surfaces, the company said.

The $69 wireless Mighty Mouse includes up to four independently programmable buttons and a Scroll Ball that lets users scroll in any direction.

"We cut the cord on our popular Mighty Mouse to give consumers even more flexibility when using a Mac," said David Moody, Apple?s vice president of Worldwide Mac Product Marketing. "A Bluetooth-enabled Mac desktop with an Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse is the ideal cable-free setup at home or in the office, and the wireless Mighty Mouse is the perfect travel companion for the MacBook user on the go."

The wireless Mighty Mouse is a Bluetooth 2.0 based multi-button mouse that retains the simplicity of a single-button mouse, and can be used as a single- or multi-button mouse depending on the user?s preference. It features a single seamless enclosure with programmable touch sensors that act as primary or secondary buttons.

"With a simple click on the upper right or left side of the mouse, users can instantly access features such as contextual menus found in Mac OS X and other applications," Apple said. "The wireless Mighty Mouse's two other buttons are activated by pressing its Scroll Ball and squeezing its sides, and can be easily programmed to give users one-click access to Mac OS X Tiger features such as Spotlight, Dashboard and Exposé, or to launch any application such as Safari or iChat."

The wireless Mighty Mouse also features an advanced power management system that automatically switches to low power modes during inactivity, and an off switch to maintain battery life while not in use. Ready to use out of the box, the wireless Mighty Mouse works with either one or two AA batteries.

Pricing & Availability

The wireless Mighty Mouse is available immediately through the Apple Store, at Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $69. It connects to the latest Macs with built-in Bluetooth wireless technology, and requires Mac OS X ?Tiger? version 10.4.6 or later to customize buttons for one-click access to Spotlight, Dashboard and Exposé or to launch applications.
  • Reply 2 of 111
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrenchMac

It's now official! Available for $59!

Only on the US Apple site at least...

Canadian too.
  • Reply 3 of 111
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    But where, oh where, are the bluetooth trackballs? *sniff*

- Jasen.

P.S. Thank heaven the Mighty Mouse banner finally pushed the TV ads off the front page of Apple's site!
  • Reply 4 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

But where, oh where, are the bluetooth trackballs? *sniff*

- Jasen.

P.S. Thank heaven the Mighty Mouse banner finally pushed the TV ads off the front page of Apple's site!

A BT trackball would be really cool.
  • Reply 5 of 111
    Anyone else notice that the preference pane is different?

Those of us with corded Mighty Mouses (Mice? Mousesses?) would like these features, too.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    So what will the upgrade price be for people buying machines that currently include the mighty mouse?

Will it be a bundle with BT keyboard, or will they allow upgrades separately?
  • Reply 7 of 111
    Nothing in the UK!!
  • Reply 8 of 111
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    I'll believe it's good when I see it and not rely on Apple to tell me it's any good.

They have a lot of mechanical issues to solve with this mouse if it's anything like the wired Mighty Mouse in moving parts. And having to frequently clean your MightyMouse's ball is not an acceptable feature.
  • Reply 9 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by DenverKirrane

Nothing in the UK!!

Mighty Mouse: now with 35% more lead.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

I'll believe it's good when I see it and not rely on Apple to tell me it's any good.

They have a lot of mechanical issues to solve with this mouse if it's anything like the wired Mighty Mouse in moving parts. And having to frequently clean your MightyMouse's ball is not an acceptable feature.

How about cleaning *your* hands before you use the mouse.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    So, it looks like scrolling can be restricted (360 degrees being the same as the corded version, now there must also be vertical only or horizontal only selections). Plus Zooming is now an option.

Cool!
  • Reply 12 of 111
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by arlodesign

Anyone else notice that the preference pane is different?

Those of us with corded Mighty Mouses (Mice? Mousesses?) would like these features, too.

For those of you not aware of the changes, they've changed the checkboxes for vertical/horizontal scrolling to a pulldown with '360 degree scrolling' whatever that is and they've added a Zoom option while holding down a key and using the scoll ball.

I wonder if that means they've changed the scroll ball mechanically?
  • Reply 13 of 111
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Sweet!
  • Reply 14 of 111
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

How about cleaning *your* hands before you use the mouse.

Why should I have to clean my hand any more with a mighty mouse than any other mouse?
  • Reply 15 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

Why should I have to clean my hand any more with a mighty mouse than any other mouse?

eh, but it might be a good idea anyways:

" In fact, the average desk harbors 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat.

?For bacteria, a desk is really the laptop of luxury,? said Gerba. ?They can feast all day from breakfast to lunch and even dinner.? Gerba and his researchers found that unless desks were wiped clean with a disinfectant during the day, bacteria levels climbed higher and higher, peaking after lunch."

Full Story Here

So we can assume that Apple encourages good computing hygiene . When the ball gums up, it's time to disinfect your desk.
  • Reply 16 of 111
    Good stuff, I ordered two, hopefully they ship sooner than 3 -5 as most apple products do.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    What on earth took them took them so long! Although I must say the Mighty Mouse is not a great product. Two mouse buttons are necessary in this day and age, deal with it Apple. Why not make a mouse that has two real (or ::GASP:: more than two) buttons, like all the other mouse makers out there?!!???!!
  • Reply 18 of 111
    evanslsevansls Posts: 12member
    You'll probably have to request to demo the bluetooth mighty mouse otherwise i can see these new mice walking out the door if they're just connected to the macs at the apple store!
  • Reply 19 of 111
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

A BT trackball would be really cool.

I second that. I have the "almost cordless" Logitech trackball (the USB dongle is still a monster).

But yeah, I've been hooked on the thumb-style trackball mice ever since I spent the requisite 2-3 hours playing Quake with one so that I could get used to it. Been using one for about 6 years now and just can't go back. It just feels so much more precise and ergonomic than regular mice.
  • Reply 20 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

I hope you're not referring to the Got a Mac campaign. Thats been gone for awhile now.