What has apple become...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
exactly, what has apple become? their motivation in life is to make the bests computers in the world, yet every day there seems to be new problems cropping up all over the place.

i just dont get it...

any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    first revision products always seem to suck. this isn't an excuse, just a statement, and it applies to lots of products, not just computers. even apple didn't really get the mac right until the mac plus.

let's name recent 1st revs without a bunch of problems:

iMacs, G3, G4, G5

Power Mac G5 (?)

that's about all i've got. the original aluminum powerbooks had the screen spotting, the titanium ones the paint chipping, the last dual g4s were loud as hell, the first several ibook generations had logic board issues, and that's about all i can remember.

i can't remember much further back than that, and if i try, things start to get rose-colored.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    What progmac said...

A lot of the Apple faithful round here are sorely tempted to buy when a new model comes out but quite a few will hold off until Rev. B solely because of teething problems in Rev. A models.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

What progmac said...

A lot of the Apple faithful round here are sorely tempted to buy when a new model comes out but quite a few will hold off until Rev. B solely because of teething problems in Rev. A models.

I also keep telling myself to wait for rev B models...but then I always go back to my original observation that it doesn't matter what rev you have, you'll have some sort of problem anyway.

Getting a rev B does not mean you'll have less problems that if had gotten a rev A. There have been many cases where rev B or C models were worse than the rev A model.

It's a case of superstition: "stay away from the scary ol' rev A model"
  • Reply 4 of 24
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    If everyone avoided revision A, there wouldn't even be a revision B.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Late at night...

When I'm home alone...

I get down on my bare knees..

And thank the powers above...

My RevA intel iMac is still without problems...

• Reply 6 of 24
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mbaynham

exactly, what has apple become? their motivation in life is to make the bests computers in the world, yet every day there seems to be new problems cropping up all over the place.

i just dont get it...

any thoughts?

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

You somehow think ANYONE can make a perfect electronic anything?

Listen, just like people everything can fail and/or die in one way or another. It's a fact of life.

There are people experiencing problems, there are people that have not, that has always been the case with everything everyone makes including apple and will always be.

Of course reports are going to focus on the negative, they have to, to keep companies on their toes, but that is not everyone's experience.

It's insane to somehow think that making the "best computers in the world" has anything to do with making them flawless or that apple doesn't care about flaws.

Because all the replacements everyone is getting and repairs and tech support are free to the company?

Apple is the same as before, but when you make more stuff and sell more stuff to more people, you have a larger margin of error.

Calm down it's not that bad, people are on forums like these not because they all hate apple and have broken stuff but because they like them, which means they must be doing something right.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    No one posts about how well their computer is running until they are confronted with a dissenting opinion.

Those with broken hardware or a grip are 10x more likely to post about it.

Attempting to judge the reliability of a product via messageboards is foolhardy at best.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Getting a rev B does not mean you'll have less problems that if had gotten a rev A. There have been many cases where rev B or C models were worse than the rev A model.

I think that's exactly what getting rev B means and, i'm not trying to be an ass here i'm genuinely curious, in what cases have rev B or C been worse than A?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I brought a dual G5 last year (description in my signature) and the machine is PERFECT ! The only problems I may experience are software related only.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

No one posts about how well their computer is running until they are confronted with a dissenting opinion.

Those with broken hardware or a grip are 10x more likely to post about it.

Attempting to judge the reliability of a product via messageboards is foolhardy at best.

EXACTAMUNDO!
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

Late at night...

When I'm home alone...

Awesome!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

Awesome!

Yep, Same here. In this room I'm running a Rev A Single Processor Quicksilver right now that I bought new. Never one problem. I have upgraded superdrive to faster versions four times, and I have added a PCI RAID card that doesn't have the 120GB limitation, but it's a rev a Like all my other Mac's and they all are trouble free.

I have a 9600 (6,PCI slots) downstairs in a box that is also a Rev A machine. It was the most awesome computer on the market when it was released.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

I think that's exactly what getting rev B means and, i'm not trying to be an ass here i'm genuinely curious, in what cases have rev B or C been worse than A?

You gave an answer previously:

Quote:

...the last dual g4s were loud as hell...

There are also other cases. For example, if I remember correctly, the iBook revision with the widespread logic board issues was well after the first generation machines showed up.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Yep, Same here. In this room I'm running a Rev A Single Processor Quicksilver right now that I bought new. Never one problem. I have upgraded superdrive to faster versions four times, and I have added a PCI RAID card that doesn't have the 120GB limitation, but it's a rev a Like all my other Mac's and they all are trouble free.

I have a 9600 (6,PCI slots) downstairs in a box that is also a Rev A machine. It was the most awesome computer on the market when it was released.

!'ve a PowerMac G5 1.6ghz, Rev.A. I want to get a new graphics card to upgrade from my Nvidia 64mb one. I'm just not sure what to get. \

I also think I'm going to have to get a pci card so i can have more USB ports.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

You gave an answer previously:

--------------------

...the last dual g4s were loud as hell...

---------------------

There are also other cases. For example, if I remember correctly, the iBook revision with the widespread logic board issues was well after the first generation machines showed up.

I think you're right, the major logic board issues were not in the 500mhz iBooks, but in the 600 and 700mhz ones with the faster bus. Good point.

I was considering the MDD G4s rev A cause of the new case and all that, but i can understand seeing them as simply later rev quicksilvers
  • Reply 16 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

I was considering the MDD G4s rev A cause of the new case and all that, but i can understand seeing them as simply later rev quicksilvers

Yes, after some point this line becomes a little fuzzy.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Laptops seem to have more issues than desktops as well. Mainly because of how much more engineering effort has to be put into designing a laptop that is relatively cool, and packed with most of the features a desktop has.

I don't have much fear in getting a rev A. If the problem it has is serious enough, Apple almost always manages to fix it for you on their dime. It's an inconvenience if it has an issue; a trade off for being a first to get a new generation system.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    There are literally thousands of people with MacBook lagic board problems right now. Apple is going to really need to start doing damage control. Their support forums are blowing up with complaints. My own MacBook is sitting in Memphis waiting on back ordered parts. If it does not magically appear tomorrow I have to buy something else due to a business trip I leave for on Sunday. Then the joy of sueing for a full refund begins.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

There are literally thousands of people with MacBook lagic board problems right now. Apple is going to really need to start doing damage control.

Sorry Gregg you are ringing the alarmist bell without facts to add context to your statements.

Apple sold 798,000 notebooks over the last quarter. Without a doubt Apple expects a few thousand of them to ship with problems. This is the same with every other computer manufacturer in the world.

I'm sure problems such as the discoloration, whining, sudden sleep were unexpected as there will inevitably be some growing pains with a major architecture transition.

These problems are unfortunate, severe, and pressure should be placed on Apple to fix them as quickly as possible. Also it should be taken into consideration how Apple has taken responsibility for the problems. There are many reports of people bringing in laptops and getting a new one on the spot with few questions asked. Apple has acknowledged and taken responsibility to replace and repair these defects.

Lets say their are 100,000 people having problem with their Apple laptop and are complaining loudly about it. That leaves 698,000 people with an Apple laptop who are doing fine. They won't as loudly or vehemently pronounce that my laptop is working perfectly fine.

Seeing as how Dell and HP sell millions more laptops with many more configurations its practically impossible for their failure rates to be lower than Apple's. In fact the past few years Dells customer service has been inundated to the point of being near useless. That is not a sign that Dell has a low problem rate with its computers.

Apple has placed itself in a position to receive a disproportionate amount of praise on the flip side of that when Apple makes a mistake it will receive a disproportionate amount of blame.

If you want to complain that Apple's products have more problems than everyone else. Find some facts to prove it not biased emotion filled anecdotal internet gossip.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    allbrainallbrain Posts: 61member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

Late at night...

When I'm home alone...

Same here, so far... Had it since a couple of weeks after they were released.