No Lines Waiting For Dell Store Opening

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dell Retail Store generates no hoopla. Where are the first 100 give away t-shirts? Follow link for broadband needed store tour.

http://media.dellone2one.com/dell/Ju...ening_vlog.wmv

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    To be honest, I don't think this was the 'store' opening. In fact, I don't really know what this was... there appeared to be customers present, yet staff were clearly unpacking the computers and he told the cameraman to watch the paint. Hmm...

Personally, I think this is doomed to fail. Not selling anything in store, even monitors and accessories, is a mistake. Retail stores rely on customers making impulse purchases. The desire to spend certainly decreases when you have to spend 20+ minutes working through the order process with a staff member, and with the knowledge that you won't leave the store with anything tangiable in you hand.

From a design point of view, the layout and decor of that store is horrendous. The mix of Dell blue signage, stark white floors and horrendous wood panelling just doesn't work, and the glass dividers certainly don't lend to an integrated shopping experience. Further, the 'entertainment zone' and Dell's attempt at a Genius Bar seem like last minute, poorly executed additions.

With Apple having their own store in the mall, it will be interesting to compare the foot traffic that each company experiences.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I watched the video three times and I have to say the store needs some improvements such as:

1 - The entire showroom floor needs to be the same and it shouldn't be white.

2 - The blue table/counter top is too much. If they really want blue then they should use a pattern or if the counter is backlit then use a less intense light.

3 - The three islands look out of place, almost as if they were put in at the last moment.

The one thing I did like was the wall with the TVs.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Jim is just one of those irritating types of people you'd take pleasure in smackin' upside the head.

I think it's good that they are finally opening a store. I'm one of those people who like to see a product before buying.

The designs on some of their machines look familiar though. Even the gaminig machine a bit.

I agree that the wood panelling looks horrible - it reminds me of a chinese takeaway place.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Every system is for you the customer! "Now will you please get the fuXX out of my way I'm trying to do a demonstration, I hate customers".
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

The one thing I did like was the wall with the TVs.

Yeah, but if I was buying a tv there's no way I'd buy a Dell tv.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Complete rip-off the Apple store... (except the lack of Apple products ;-)