August PowerBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My predictions for the August PB:

-Bye, bye Yonah, hello Merom

-Click pad instead of a seperate button and trackpad

-LED backlit LCD, no more florescent backlighting

-Firewire 800 and Dual layer DVD burning support return to 15" model.

-nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX (or ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 if Apple keeps them)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    $10 says they'll be called MacBook Pros too...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    The topic starter is mostly wrong, starting with the title!

August: Probably not. WWDC is almost certainly the exclusive domain of the Mac Pro. Apple rarely releases new systems immediately following a major conference, either.

Click pad instead of a seperate button and trackpad: No. It limits your input choices and will annoy the large number of people who immediately turn trackpad tapping off as soon as they get a new system (mainly because it's far too easy to accidentally trigger something).

LED-backlit LCD: nice idea, but it's yet to be seen on a laptop and there's no reason to believe Apple has such a display ready to use.

nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX (or ATI Mobility Radeon X1800: Neither is especially realistic in the MacBook Pro, because they both draw too much power and emit too much heat. Barring new graphics chipsets between now and the MacBook Pro refresh, the best you'll get is a Go 7900 GS or an underclocked Mobility Radeon X1800. It'd almost make more sense for Apple to wait for a mobile X1700.

Oh, and for reference: ATI still has a license to interface with Intel chipsets, so they're staying.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

LED-backlit LCD: nice idea, but it's yet to be seen on a laptop and there's no reason to believe Apple has such a display ready to use.[/B]

Sony has LED backlight:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/articl...ge=7620&head=0
  • Reply 4 of 31
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ngmapple

My predictions for the August PB:

-Bye, bye Yonah, hello Merom

-Click pad instead of a seperate button and trackpad

-LED backlit LCD, no more florescent backlighting

-Firewire 800 and Dual layer DVD burning support return to 15" model.

-nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX (or ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 if Apple keeps them)

Could as well be a September or October introduction of the next generation MBP.

- Yes

- What? you are already able to "click" with your trackpad.

- Don't know, don't care, actually.

- Yes, they should do that, because it's a shame for a pro notebook not to have FW800.

- We'll see what a AMD-ATI merger has to do with Apple. I like ATI though for no special reason
  • Reply 5 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

Sony has LED backlight:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/articl...ge=7620&head=0

Y'know, I always fancied getting one of those but now that I compare the spec with a Macbook, it looks seriously bad value for money. The Macbook is not that much bigger at 13" compared to 11 and it has a better GPU I think (GMA950 vs 945), it has dual processors @ 1.66GHz vs single processor @ 1.2Ghz and is nearly half the price. Plus the Macbook looks nicer with a unified color scheme.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    Quote:

- What? you are already able to "click" with your trackpad.

You're able to tap virutually, however you're not able to physically "click" the trackpad like you can on the iPod. That is what I'm suggesting. It just seems like an obvious idea.

And in terms of hotter, more power thirsty GPU's:

1- Using an LED backlit LCD would free up some extra juice to run the GPU.

2- These can be auto speed steped (underclocked when on battery and graphics demand is low, fully clocked when on AC and gpu demand is high)
  • Reply 7 of 31
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MovieCutter

$10 says they'll be called MacBook Pros too...

I agree completely.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ngmapple

And in terms of hotter, more power thirsty GPU's:

1- Using an LED backlit LCD would free up some extra juice to run the GPU.

2- These can be auto speed steped (underclocked when on battery and graphics demand is low, fully clocked when on AC and gpu demand is high)

You're missing the point. Higher-end GPUs can't be used due to power consumption, but due to resulting heat output. Yes, you can underclock them (and in fact the X1600 in the MacBook Pro is already underclocked), but then you don't end up with much, if any, benefit from using higher-end (and thus more expensive) components to begin with.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    I really don't understand the thinking behind the strong held believes that Apple will still lag behind the rest of the PC market. To them, the Merom chip is pin-compadible with the Yonah chips. There's nothing the have to do besides change the chips they're placing in the computers. There's really no way Apple can afford the luxury of lagging behind the industry in their updates - when Apple was with Freescale/IBM, they updated when new chips were available. New chips will be available from Intel far more regularly, and if Apple doesn't keep up they will keep their "slow" monicker.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

I really don't understand the thinking behind the strong held believes that Apple will still lag behind the rest of the PC market...There's really no way Apple can afford the luxury of lagging behind the industry in their updates...if Apple doesn't keep up they will keep their "slow" monicker.

This is double-true for laptops. Apple is a much bigger laptop player than a desktop player. Apple laptops are what's going to be making the big money on the Mac side, and they can't afford to have them be last-gen.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

(snip) and they can't afford to have them be last-gen.

Let's hope so. It would be nice, for a change.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    if the dedicated graphix card produces lots of heat, why not go with an nforce baced motherboards?

that will save power, less heat, better graphix card.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    How do you draw the crazy conclusion that the integrated graphics in an nForce chipset are anywhere near as good as those provided by a Mobility Radeon X1600?

Or, for that matter, that there is an nForce chipset for the Merom at all?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Saud

if the dedicated graphix card produces lots of heat, why not go with an nforce baced motherboards?

that will save power, less heat, better graphix card.

It's not possible, the Centrino brand consist of an Intel motherboard, Intel CPU, and Intel WLAN. I don't think there is an Nforce-based laptop motherboard for Pentium M, Core Duo or Core 2 Duo.

And LOL, you should really see some benchmarks to compare the performance of a dedicated X1600 to any integrated card. The X1600 must be at least 10x faster.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

- Don't know, don't care, actually.

Maybe you should. LEDs use less power, generate less heat, and last longer than flourescent bulbs.

Granted, the backlight in my 4 year old TiBook doesn't get particularly hot and it hasn't burned out yet, but those are just nice things to know... the power savings are the big benefit in my opinion.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by elron

Maybe you should. LEDs use less power, generate less heat, and last longer than flourescent bulbs.

Ah, that would be nice, though.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    i meant the nforce is a better graphics card than any other integrated one, such as the intel's crap.

that would be a solution for the macbook's poor graphics card without adding much heat.

it's just a thought.

although i hope there will be a 13" Macbook pro that would compete with sony's SZ-Serries.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    But we're talking about the MacBook Pros, which have integrated graphics. An nForce would be a step down. (And, still, wouldn't be possible, because it simply doesn't exist for Merom, nor Yonah.)
  • Reply 19 of 31
    nforce for the macbook.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    I think you're confused Saud, between nvidia geforce graphics cards, and nvidia nforce chipsets.

I think you're suggesting that they put geforce graphics into the macbook.