What Mac are you currently using? upgrading soon?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With all this talk of new systems, coming next month, I'm curious to see what people are currently using, and whether they plan any upgrades next month.

I'm on a PowerBook 1.33GHz G4, and am looking at possbilly a Mac Pro tower, or a Conroe iMac.

Did the portable thing for a couple years, and I'm ready to return to the desktop with something powerful. PowerBook kinda dying on me too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    I'm on a black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM, 180gb HD. I'm thinking about getting a Mac Pro next summer to replace my Powermac G5 1.6ghz, 1.25gb RAM, 80gb HD. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 64
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

I'm on a black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM, 180gb HD. I'm thinking about getting a Mac Pro next summer to replace my Powermac G5 1.6ghz, 1.25gb RAM, 80gb HD. 8)

heh.. yeah I guess the whole "buy a new computer every 3-4 years" doesn't really apply on these boards.

Tho, I'm the same way I guess... Went from a G4 466 tower to a G4 867 tower to a PowerBook 1.33GHz.. Largest jump I made was from a Performa 580 to a Lime iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    White 2.0 ghz, 2gb RAM, and 100gb HDD. This was my first Mac, although I wouldn't mind getting another one. I might get another one next year. I would really like to get a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    next Macbook Pro rev is in my sights... I'm on a TiBook 867mhz, radeon 9000 graphics
  • Reply 5 of 64
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Single Processor G4 867 w/ 1 gig of RAM and Radeon 9650 video card.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

With all this talk of new systems, coming next month, I'm curious to see what people are currently using, and whether they plan any upgrades next month.

I'm on a PowerBook 1.33GHz G4, and am looking at possbilly a Mac Pro tower, or a Conroe iMac.

Did the portable thing for a couple years, and I'm ready to return to the desktop with something powerful. PowerBook kinda dying on me too.

I am currently using a Dual Proc 1.25 G4 (Gig of RAM/Superdrive) with the stock Radeon 9000.

I'd love to updgrade to a 17" iMac (Intel), but alas, I'm broke.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I have a first version iMac G5 and a base model MacBook as well as an Athlon 64 HP craptop. These computers will have to last me for a few years as I'm tired of buying new stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:

Largest jump I made was from a Performa 580 to a Lime iMac.

580? Try Performa 575 to a PowerMac G3...

Remember how impressed you were when you went from thousands of colors to millions?
  • Reply 9 of 64
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood

580? Try Performa 575 to a PowerMac G3...

Remember how impressed you were when you went from thousands of colors to millions?

Ha ha, try Mac IIci to Powerbook G4 867 MHz ( what I'm currently using).

Actually, the IIci was my dad's leftover computer and the Powerbook was really my first computer for "serious" stuff.

Anyway, I'm looking at a new iMac for *ahem..cough, cough* my mom. Waitin' for Conroe!
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

Damn, 256 colors AND hypercard ran slow??? How did you keep your sanity?
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:

Damn, 256 colors AND hypercard ran slow??? How did you keep your sanity?

Hypercard...whoo boy, that brings back memories....

I had sweet games on that baby. Actually, there are few games nowadays that seem as fun. Flashback, Quagmire, Civilization (the PC version then was soooo bad), Dark Castle, Shadow Keep, Spectre Supreme (awesome network gaming), Risk, the worm game that I forget the name of (multiplayer with terrain and different missiles types). I had (actually, still have) literally hundreds of games for that thing.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:

Hypercard...whoo boy, that brings back memories....

I had sweet games on that baby. Actually, there are few games nowadays that seem as fun. Flashback, Quagmire, Civilization (the PC version then was soooo bad), Dark Castle, Shadow Keep, Spectre Supreme (awesome network gaming), Risk, the worm game that I forget the name of (multiplayer with terrain and different missiles types). I had (actually, still have) literally hundreds of games for that thing.

All I had was wordmunchers, sim city 2000, and mario teaches typing... \

I guess that's why I got into Hypercard...
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:

All I had was wordmunchers, sim city 2000, and mario teaches typing... \

I guess that's why I got into Hypercard...

aah, I forgot about Sim City 2000. That was many wasted hours. And SimAnt that was soooo easy to beat I think it was a bug (no pun intended)
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:

Actually, the IIci was my dad's leftover computer and the Powerbook was really my first computer for "serious" stuff.

Anyway, I'm looking at a new iMac for *ahem..cough, cough* my mom. Waitin' for Conroe!

haha! yeah that's quite a jump. Overtime, the time between purchases has shortened for me. Probably because I've slowly been able to afford better stuff, and the computers keep getting more afordable.

First upgrade was a Mac Plus to a Performa 580, then of course to the iMac 333MHz G3. Since then I've been buying about every 2 years.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:

First upgrade was a Mac Plus to a Performa 580, then of course to the iMac 333MHz G3. Since then I've been buying about every 2 years.

I always got screwed because the RAM was different in the 575 series than the 580. It was more expensive and I always had to order it out of MacWarehouse.

Damn performas. I hated the dark age...
  • Reply 16 of 64
    I've an Apple II GS, and I remember playing Word Munchers, Number Munchers, and Oregon Trail, etc. Good times.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

I've an Apple II GS, and I remember playing Word Munchers, Number Munchers, and Oregon Trail, etc. Good times.

so.. you're upgrading to a MacPro?
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Quote:

so.. you're upgrading to a MacPro?

Yeah. The newest machine I have is a MacBook. I'm going to wait until next summer probably, and then get a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    bj85bj85 Posts: 7member
    My very first Mac purchase was a few months back, 17" iMac Core Duo. Doubled the memory to 1GB, and am currently at my old man to rustle up some copies of the Adobe CS products, as I'm really interested in seeing how these perfomr on the Intel machines. I would love to get a notebook of some description as well, perhaps I could hit up my employer for a MBP as part of my package....hehehe
  • Reply 20 of 64
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    How about a 286 with 2MB RAM and 20MB HDD to a pentium 100, 2gig HDD, Win95, and 16MB RAM to a 766MHZ 40 gig hdd 128 MB (upgraded to 384) RAM that shipped with ME and was promptly replaced with 2000, then XP Pro...then I got a Mac...a 1.2GHZ Mini and I also have a tower with an athlon 1800, 512MB ram and a bunch of spare HDDS for a...test enviornment...

For the record, if the situation improves soon, I look to do a complete overhaul within 1 year.