Two copies of an mp3

becbec
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When I've downloaded a song to my desktop, I find that I end up with the mp3 on the desktop as well as a copy in the iTunes subfolder found under My Music. Is there a way to avoid this or do I simply delete one of the copies?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bec

When I've downloaded a song to my desktop, I find that I end up with the mp3 on the desktop as well as a copy in the iTunes subfolder found under My Music. Is there a way to avoid this or do I simply delete one of the copies?

There is a setting in iTunes preferences (file/preferences): Copy Music to music folder or something like that. Simply uncheck it.

(Can anyone help with the tab this preference is under and its exact name?)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    becbec Posts: 68member
    Thank you!

It's under iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General in case anyone else has this problem.

Edit:

I think I did a rather foolish thing. I turned off the Copy setting while the music was copying. So I'm not sure if, by sending the Music folder to the trash, I'll lose half my music by emptying it. In the iTunes folder there are only 633 items and there should be about 1400. : x Will I have to do this process from scratch?