Help Choosing a Display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello Im looking to purchase a new display to couple with my 15inch macbook pro. Im looking for something along the lines of a 19 or 20 inch widscreen. Ive seen a bunch and im not to sure. I have been reading reviews also and going nuts on which one to purchase. Money is a problem because I am a student and I need the best price to performance ratio as possible. I have selected these monitors.

Samsung 204B (1600x1200, 5ms, 800:1, 300cd/m2)

Benq FP202W (1680x1050, 8ms, 600:1, 300cd/m2)

ViewSonic VX2025WM (1680x1050, 8ms, 800:1, 300cd/m2)

Any other suggestions are welcome. It must have DVI and stay around the 300 to 350 range or cheaper. Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I have the Viewsonic, and it really is a nice display. The only shortfall is *minor* backlight bleed when the screen is black.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    do you t hink it is better than the samsung? Im doing alot of grapic art projects and video editing
  • Reply 3 of 15
    still havnt made a decision between the samsung or viewsonic any suggestions? i got the money to purchase it now and was wondering what to get.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrew266

still havnt made a decision between the samsung or viewsonic any suggestions? i got the money to purchase it now and was wondering what to get.

The Samsungs have been tons of problems IIRC. I'd go with either the Viewsonic, or this LG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824005070.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If NEC has any 1600x1200 screens, go for that. Glossy coating and great video hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    krisnephkrisneph Posts: 143member
    Get a Dell 20" widescreen. Look for coupons online. You might be able to get it for like $350.00. I have the older version and they are great. I'm gonna add another.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Can't go wrong with a viewsonic (makes you just wanna kiss those pixels), or a samsung (dell and apple monitors are essentially samsungs)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teatimebing

Can't go wrong with a viewsonic (makes you just wanna kiss those pixels), or a samsung (dell and apple monitors are essentially samsungs)

Yeah, I actually bought two VX924s, and they are absolutely flawless. I can't say enough about them. I only wish I had more time at home to use them!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    krisnephkrisneph Posts: 143member
    Actually last I heard the 20 inch widecreen Apple and Dells are LG panels. I can't say enough about the Dells. I hate their PC's but the monitors are great. You can get them real cheap too. I've had mine since November of last year with no problems. It has DVi, VGA, Composite and has PIP and PBP. Also has a built in USB hub. In my opinion it's the best value in monitors.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Honestly, from what I've heard about the NEC 20wmgx2, it's THE BEST 20.1" flatpanel monitor right now. The glossy coating is absolutely vivid for colors, the backlight ramps up to retina-searing levels, the response time is equivalent to the fastest of 4:3 LCDs, and the viewing angle is honestly every damn angle you can see the panel from.

It has a USB hub built in, it has the most insane number of inputs (click for picture), including DVI, D-SUB, VGA, composite, component, EVERYTHING:

And costs less than the Apple one, sure, a few hundred more than the Dell, but the Dell still has significant banding issues that annoy professionals.

It's what I'm getting.

• Reply 11 of 15
    what are some other monitors with cool modern designs? i remember seeing some years ago, i can't remember who made them....i
  • Reply 12 of 15
    what's a mini d-sub, and can I use it on a x1900xt? thinking of a 19 inch CRT over a 20" LCD due to costs, and higher-res. (also, how would a 19" letter box look at 10 to 15 feet?)

Looking specifically at:ViewSonic G90FB Black 19" CRT Monitor

compared to $300 20 inch LCDs with DVI and 1680x1050
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Anyone know how to use the built-in card reader on the dells with a mac?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teatimebing

Mine flickers yellow tinted all the damned time.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    The 20WMGX2 is undisputably the best 20-incher on the market right now, provided that the glossy screen doesn't put you off.