adware and spyware

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey all, I was wondering if Mac's are as susceptible to adware and spyware as Window's PC's are. I'm new to the whole Mac OS X operating system and I don't have a clue about stuff. I do know that Mac's aren't as vulnerable to virus's like PC's are, but just unclear about adware and spyware. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:

Originally posted by rafa

Hey all, I was wondering if Mac's are as susceptible to adware and spyware as Window's PC's are. I'm new to the whole Mac OS X operating system and I don't have a clue about stuff. I do know that Mac's aren't as vulnerable to virus's like PC's are, but just unclear about adware and spyware. Thanks!

Macs do not have many security vulnerabilities, other than some proof of consept trojans, that so far have been more social networking scams than proper pests. Still if you want to be sure, turn on your firewall that came with OS X, and it's also wise to run your computer with lowered user rights, just to minimize risk of future nasties. You can also run programs like little snitch to see what programs use your internet connection. Adware you can fight against, with your own decisions, don't use programs that come with ads. Not all adware is aggressive some programs can be delivered free because of ads. Also use your common sense in internet, download programs only from trusted sites.