some questions from a window's user..

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
1. i do alot of video streaming, through youtube.com and so, so is it possible to do these in OSX ?

2. i play online with some java based games, can i do it in a mac?

3. i download movies through torrents, and some sharing programmes, .avi .mpg .....etc can i see them in a mac?

thats for now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Saud

1. i do alot of video streaming, through youtube.com and so, so is it possible to do these in OSX ?

2. i play online with some java based games, can i do it in a mac?

3. i download movies through torrents, and some sharing programmes, .avi .mpg .....etc can i see them in a mac?

thats for now.

1. Youtube and google video works perfectly out of the box. There are plugins to play wmv files. wmv-streams do not always work.

2. Java should work, although I wouldn't be surprised if some don't.

3. All .avi files will play in quicktime/front row with the proper codec installed. mpeg no problem.

Remember: if there is anything you need to do/see on any current mac that only works in windows, you can always install windows next to osX (google 'bootcamp' or 'parallels ') but I have found that for allmost everything there is a solution to do it in osX.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    well i think i might have windows for some gaming, but for general use i want to be able to do everything in OSX.

isn't there a .wmv player? didnt windows use to make a wmp for OSX?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Yes, Windows Media Player 9 is still available as a free download, though Microsoft do not have plans for future updates or product support for the software.

GET IT HERE

Also available is Flip4Mac which will play Windows Media files (.wma and .wmv) directly in QuickTime Player.

SEE HERE
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

well i think i might have windows for some gaming, but for general use i want to be able to do everything in OSX.

You probably know this, but for gaming you should go the bootcamp way because then you have proper graphics support.

There is a wmv player, but it is the most horrible piece of osX software I have come across to date...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

You probably know this, but for gaming you should go the bootcamp way because then you have proper graphics support.

There is a wmv player, but it is the most horrible piece of osX software I have come across to date...

WMV player is the most horrible piece of Mac OR Windows software I have come across to date.