Forum Upgrade a WIP!

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Guys,

We've (finally) upgraded vBull 3.5. It's very much a work in progress right now. It will take a day to index the forums for search and update all the images. Please report all issues here or to moderators audiopollution and jambo.

Best,

Kasper

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Thanks for the update. Just a style issue here... I find it visually very difficult to pick out the name of the poster vs. the previous layout, and the little green button next to their names is just more visual clutter. Could the poster's name be in a bold font or somthing to give it a little more clarity?
  • Reply 2 of 82
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper

Guys,

We've (finally) upgraded vBull 3.5. It's very much a work in progress right now. It will take a day to index the forums for search and update all the images. Please report all issues here or to moderators audiopollution and jambo.

Best,

Kasper

Looks good but the older layout with every second message being shaded and icons that were smaller was a lot easier to read. If there is a way to use something a little closer to the older setup in the new version, it would be good.

If asthetic was a selling point of the new Vb, get a refund.

EDIT:

OK, scratch that -- a large part of the layout just changed while typing the message, I reserve judgment untill migration and optimization is complete
  • Reply 3 of 82
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

EDIT:

OK, scratch that -- a large part of the layout just changed while typing the message, I reserve judgment untill migration and optimization is complete

Yeah -- I just changed it =P

We had the forum skins and layout pretty much complete, but importing only appears to import the sytles and not all of the settings. We'll get it back to looking the way it was, don't worry.

Best,

K
  • Reply 4 of 82
    I kinda like the layouts and style here: http://www.dvinfo.net
  • Reply 5 of 82
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Is it just Kasper working on this?

If so, I think it would be wise to recruit some help from people who have more time to work on the aesthetic problems here.

Edit: Ah just read Kasper above. Cool.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Is it just Kasper working on this?

If so, I think it would be wise to recruit some help from people who have more time to work on the aesthetic problems here.

Just me right now, but AudioPollution will hopefully turn up at some point. He did a lot of the prepping with Jambo. Anyone who wants to help, please PM AudioPollution and let him know. We'd very much appreciate some xtra hands around here.

Is the font size a little small for some people? I think we'll increase that.

-K
  • Reply 7 of 82
    Font size is good. Might want to bold the usernames of the mod/admin team so they carry more importance. Other then that, this is a much needed upgrade and all is running smoothly.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    Quote:

Just me right now, but AudioPollution will hopefully turn up at some point. He did a lot of the prepping with Jambo. Anyone who wants to help, please PM AudioPollution and let him know. We'd very much appreciate some xtra hands around here.

-K

Yes, it's fractionally smaller than before... I feel like I'm reading a faded newspaper.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

-K

Font size too small...and I have good eyesight.

Seems much smaller than what I'm used to here...
  • Reply 10 of 82
    One more request:

Can you shrink the font of the signatures and use a lighter color?
  • Reply 11 of 82
    What is with the horizontal line separating the bottom part of each reply box (between the reply text and the "quote" button)? It's additional visual confusion for such a boxy layout.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    OK, I'll use it a little before posting anything serious, but right now I think it's OK.

However, we lost one thing I did like, which was knowing who was 'active' on the thread.

And, you didn't fix the only thing that I thought was wrong, and that was dating the START of each thread. It would be nice to know how long a thread has been active.

Paz
  • Reply 13 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

the older layout with every second message being shaded and icons that were smaller was a lot easier to read.

i'll second that.

it used to have a very distinct and distinguished look to it. in a way, very apple-like.

the new style has a very generic quality to it, more windows-esque ...
  • Reply 14 of 82
    Ah, I highly like this new reply box!

I really preferred the old 'look' of the forum though, but maybe that is still being workend on?
  • Reply 15 of 82
    I am really not liking this new look. Where have my light bulbs gone? I know you said it's only temporary, but the forum has lost it's feel. There are too many lines, etc. and the 'minimalism' has kinda faded. I am really struggling to easily read things here.

Oh God, and the signature style has changed. No faded grey! And the buttons. Aaarrgh! Bring back the old forum .

Just one more rant: the alternating colours have gone.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If you're working to make everything look as close as possible to the way it was, then I'll be patient.

One thing though: Make sure the forum jump at the bottom of each page doesn't auto link when a forum is selected. IOW, we want to actually click "Go" to do it. I remember that the last time we upgraded the same thing happened. Must be a vB default.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    I like the little blue and gold things by the time. It shows which posts are old or new in a thread.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

I like the little blue and gold things by the time. It shows which posts are old or new in a thread.

There was something like that before, too.
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

There was something like that before, too.

Inside the thread or the forum?

Because I only remember them marking forums.

Oh, well. Doesn't matter. Nice job.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    Looks like a lot of the normal vBulletin growing pains.

The lines are pretty easy to get rid of on the bottom of posts. I run one o' these here thingies myself (on baseball) ....so it's not to hard to get the hang of.