Mac vs. PC.*Ding Ding*

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to know everything that there is to know about the Mac vs. Pc ordeal. Spare nothing! Feel free to fight dirty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    What? The ads?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    The Pros and Cons of both.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Current Macs ARE pc's.

Use bootcamp or parallels (or both) and you can have the best of both worlds on one computer. osX, Linux and windows can run side by side in perfect harmony!

So I guess that makes a Mac a better PC than any other brand pc.

1..2..3... knockout. We have a winner!

*Ding Ding* 8)
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Well, I guess that's all folks, and he didn't even fight dirty. Pleast give him a round of applause. But remeber you heard it hear first on my thread!
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vladimir Lestat

Well, I guess that's all folks, and he didn't even fight dirty. Pleast give him a round of applause. But remeber you heard it hear first on my thread!

And with one hand tied behind my back
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Well you are an accomplished typer.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Basically, PC's are better for business stuff and gaming and MAC's are better for graphics and like design stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    was wondering if you all reckoned that even with the new intel processors the case was still the same; i.e : "Basically, PC's are better for business stuff and gaming and MAC's are better for graphics and like design stuff."
  • Reply 9 of 19
    See my post above: intel Macs ARE pc's.

install windows next to osX and volia, there's your pc.

The distinction is really gone.

If you want to use osX and windows on one machine, a Mac is your only option.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    My friend who knows about computers and the internets said MAC are not compatible and that you have to get an 100% IBM-compatible for business stuff.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

Current Macs ARE pc's.

Touché

• Reply 12 of 19
    So now, designing+3d apps are just as good on pc's as they are on macs? Well I gotta start thinking whether or not that macbook should really be coming my way...
  • Reply 13 of 19
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frediography

So now, designing+3d apps are just as good on pc's as they are on macs? Well I gotta start thinking whether or not that macbook should really be coming my way...

Probably not... you should send it my way... cheers!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

My friend who knows about computers and the internets said MAC are not compatible and that you have to get an 100% IBM-compatible for business stuff.

Then your friend is not up to date about current Macs. He used to be right about the old powerpc-Macs, sure, but not about the new Macs with intel processors. They are "100% IBM-compatible".

They have the same type of processor, harddisk, memory, gpu, network connector,....,....
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frediography

Well (in case you're not joking), not if the app in question does only run on osX...

(or if the pc goes down due to a virus or other generic windows trouble...)
  • Reply 16 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Pro: OSX is a more pleasent user experiance IMHO

Con: Apple desktop keyboards and mice suck, that is fact, non-debatable
  • Reply 17 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

Then your friend is not up to date about current Macs. He used to be right about the old powerpc-Macs, sure, but not about the new Macs with intel processors. They are "100% IBM-compatible".

They have the same type of processor, harddisk, memory, gpu, network connector,....,....

You acctually sound a little confused too: first, the term "IBM compatible" is pretty much meaningless after the introduction of the Intel 286 -- at that point, IBM became just another pc builder, not a benchmark of any sort. the term you are looking for there is x86 compatible.

x86 v PPC had little to do with compatibility issues, the problem is and was software platform compatibility: a lot of those problems have been solved by more software vendors coming to the platform and the advent of tools like VirtualPC for those pesky windows only tools; now instead of doing chip-level translation, all apps like Paralells need to do is be a psudo-bios, giving Windows (what it thinks is) true hardware-level control of the system...

Also, your sarcasum meter must be faulty because with over 4000 posts, if Aquatic were serious about that, he would be drumbed out of our little club!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    why do you say mac v.s. pc? pc's are personal computers, are you saying your mac is not personal and that i can get your files i prefure this battle to be called apple v.s. windows. cuz your aruging about the OS
  • Reply 19 of 19
    very true the_kid_05 - this is OS X versus Windows. OS X is gonna see a real boost in the next 12-24 months because it handles SMP a lot better than XP does, especially beyond 2 cores. And if Vista is further delayed, that'll be a huge advantage, since 4-core will be as mainstream as 2-core is now in 6-8 months (which could still be pre-vista.