Microsoft Invites Hackers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just came across this on CNN and wanted to see what you guys think.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

Will this be yet another example of Microsoft falling flat on their face, or do you think they've finally managed to get their act together? After the voice-recognition display a few days ago and the general disater that Vista seems to be, I'll be curious to see how this turns out. I know that security is allegedly being beefed up in Vista, but this might be the first real "field test" for it.

I'm sure they're using it as a "beta" to find and fix some more holes before the public release, but this will also likely be covered by lots of the tech news outlets and I don't think they can afford to have huge holes punched through their newest baby in front of the whole world.

I hope folks don't let this little challenge from MS fall through the cracks be forgotten. We'll need to follow-up on this one and see how it turns out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    2 words: Who Cares.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    With Microsoft's resources, they should be able to build the most secure system. However, history shows they haven't. It's good to finally hear they are taking it to the people who would know how to rip it apart but I don't know if they'd still be able to make it as secure as a unix system, which has been tried and tested security-wise for decades.

I agree it's one to watch because it would be a big plus for Microsoft if they fixed Windows security. That would only leave a couple of hundred other issues to fix and they'll be neck and neck with OS X.

As for the speech thing, well, speech recognition is temperamental so IMO it was just a stupid move to try and demo it live. It kind of shows they are struggling to come up with anything innovative.