iMac G4 flat panel 15" FireWire dead?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Suddenly my iMac has stopped recognizing my firewire devices; I've tried them on my other macs and no trouble there so the problem would seem to be in the iMac. I hate to take it in for service since just two months ago I had to replace and upgrade the HD and it costs just to look at it since warranty expired.

Anyone experienced this kind of failure? Any ideas about ways to check out the FireWire ports without disassembling the thing or pleading with the Apple Repair Man to show mercy and see if he might have disabled them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit

Suddenly my iMac has stopped recognizing my firewire devices; I've tried them on my other macs and no trouble there so the problem would seem to be in the iMac. I hate to take it in for service since just two months ago I had to replace and upgrade the HD and it costs just to look at it since warranty expired.

Anyone experienced this kind of failure? Any ideas about ways to check out the FireWire ports without disassembling the thing or pleading with the Apple Repair Man to show mercy and see if he might have disabled them?

Have you looked into

"about this Mac"

"More info"

and then "devices and volumes"

I had the opposite problem a externa CD burner died. I suspected the FW or the FW cabling. I could actually see the FW device in the "devices and volumes" even if Toast did not find the burner anymore. So in my case the FW stuff works but the burner is toast