The complete package....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Quote:

Front Row, Boot Camp, PhotoBooth. These are just three examples of how we are going to ship the complete package of applications we have with Leopard.

Could that mean iLife and iWork will be bundled?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

Clever! We'll see?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I would love it if they stuck in iWork with all the new Macs. I'm getting tired of paying for upgrades of iWork and iLife.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    They should. Apple is the first major company to ship without a bundled word processor in a very long while.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Y'what? Windows ships only with WordPad, which IMO is inferior to textedit.*
  • Reply 5 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Agreed. TextEdit has an impressive amount of power in such a small, simple app.

Of course, I wouldn't turn down a free iWork either.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya

Y'what? Windows ships only with WordPad, which IMO is inferior to textedit.*

windows isn't a computer.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Well it's not much of an OS either, but that's beside the point.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The only thing that's really missing in TextEdit, and honestly already exists in its capability, is to be abe to create a printable document, ie, one with visible margins when you're working on it. When you open a .doc file in textedit, it has these margins and looks like it would in Word. But to the best of my knowledge, there's no way of creating a standard 8.5x11 ruled document easily in textedit.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Format -> Wrap to Page

Been there since at *least* 10.2, and I think back to 10.0...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

I'd say "no". Why the heck do they sell them seperately now?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I'd say "no". Why the heck do they sell them seperately now?

I seem to remember Windows Vista will be including their iLife competitor with Vista (Codename: Max?). That gives me great confidence in iLife and iWork being included as part of the OS.

Please, please, please...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Format -> Wrap to Page

Been there since at *least* 10.2, and I think back to 10.0...

Jesus christ, man. Thank you.

But seriously, I never found that and I consider myself to be a pretty decent comp user. I'm thinking that it might be cool if there was a launch screen for Textedit with the choice of Rich Text, Print Document, and Plaintext documents or something like that so that new users can quickly figure that out, and it would make it faster for people who do HTML in textedit to get to the right type of document.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    You're welcome.

FWIW, I didn't see it at first either, but coming from SimpleText, it didn't *have* that, and you never knew what it was going to print like, sooooo... it took me a while to think that maybe they had included it. :}
  • Reply 14 of 15
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    This is why it probably won't happen:

1) iLife/iWork life cycles are 1 year -- and its a good thing too becauase they are not quiet up to snuff with office yet. OS software cycles are 1.5 to 2 years. This leaves incomplete cycles.

2) Incorporating iWork would work more than iLife if either of them were to work. Since iWork is not a huge revenue generator in the first place, it makes Leopard more appealing while getting users to switch to iWork in the event that Microsoft does stop developing for Macs.

3) iLife/iWork is not compatible with many computers that Leopard should/will be. I suppose there is the option to not install iLife/iWork apps bundled as well. But then people would just be wasting their money

4) Apple could offer a "if you by this (Leopard) you get that or that at half off (iWork or iLife)
  • Reply 15 of 15
    xtermxterm Posts: 1member
    They really need to allow fullscreen in quicktime by default, to ask users who just payed thousands for a new machine to pay extra for fullscreen videos is crazy.