So... is there any chance that a product refresh can happen during the week?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am hoping for a refreshed iMac, or should I just wait for the september show? (No rush to buy, I want the "latest and greatest".

Thanks

Jan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Wait for September. It'll be two years since the current design was introduced. Not saying they will change the design but if anything iMac related happens it will happen there. And by then Apple will have built a decient supply of Conroe/Merom chips so whatever route they go with the iMac, it should ship right away. I'm waiting too my friend and I know it's difficult, but it'll be worth it. Just look how sweet that Mac Pro is.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    maxx66maxx66 Posts: 41member
    when exactly is the september show?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Maybe Paris.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

Wait for September. It'll be two years since the current design was introduced. Not saying they will change the design but if anything iMac related happens it will happen there. And by then Apple will have built a decient supply of Conroe/Merom chips so whatever route they go with the iMac, it should ship right away. I'm waiting too my friend and I know it's difficult, but it'll be worth it. Just look how sweet that Mac Pro is.

I don't think they will do major redesigns for any the Core Duo 2. The improvements are not something that will resonate with the average buyer. I think you will see redesigns on a big scale when they have a 64 Bit OS to go with 64 bit chips. Until then speed bumps with the new chips, but nothing big.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown

I don't think they will do major redesigns for any the Core Duo 2. The improvements are not something that will resonate with the average buyer. I think you will see redesigns on a big scale when they have a 64 Bit OS to go with 64 bit chips. Until then speed bumps with the new chips, but nothing big.

iMacs will either get conroe or merom. Arent they 64bit?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

iMacs will either get conroe or merom. Arent they 64bit?

Yeah, but I don't think Apple will do a major product launch - just a quiet update.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Wait, from my current intel iMac I heard I could update the chip I have now to either Conroe or Merom. Is this true?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    atariatari Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

Wait, from my current intel iMac I heard I could update the chip I have now to either Conroe or Merom. Is this true?

Merom,yes;

Conroe,no,as it´s not pin-compatible with Yonah.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown

If Apple really does wait till Tuesday, September 12 (a Tuesday) then I think it'll be big. That'll be two years exactly since the last iMac redesign which is excatly how long the prior one lasted. If they simply put in new Conroe/Merom chips with nothing else I think they'll do it in the next 2 to 4 weeks, when they can actualy announce and ship same day.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atari

Merom,yes;

Conroe,no,as it´s not pin-compatible with Yonah.

How much of an improvement boost will I see with the top of the line Merom from my Yonah? (2Ghz)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Sorry to kill your hopes, but chances are pretty slim. So slim I can see right through it. THe rest of the week is all developer workshops. Those guys are in there learning the latest, and greatest technologies to incorporate into their apps.