Front Row With Leopard?!?!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I find it interesting that Front Row will be included with Leopard but the new Mac Pros do not come with a remote. Why would Apple deem it neccessary to include Front Row with the retail packaging of the OS? At this point, all of the Macs that can use it already come with the application built in along with access to any Front Row updates through Apple's Software Update.

Why do they need to offer it as a seperate purchase - especially if your Mac doesn't have an IR port or the remote? This begs the question, "Is there something else that Front Row will work with in the future"? Something that will give anyone who purchases Leopard the ability to use the Front Row functionality?

He stated the reason that PhotoBooth was going to be included with Leopard; it will be supporting third party cameras. What IS the reasoning to include Front Row with Leopard? Will it be supporting third party... "somethings (eyeTVs and TIVOs)"? Will it support a new Apple box of some sort?

Just some questions to fuel some speculation and possibly shine some light on the subject.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I just ordered a new Mac Pro today, and reading your post I finally realized what's going on with the no remote or IR in this machine. I was very sad to order a new Mac with NO remote but now it's all clear to me... and very very obviously the only solution that makes sense:

The comming displays from Apple will offer glossy and not glossy, built in isight, and ofcause built in IR and remote for front row. After all, where will you be using front row? perhaps on that extra 30' Cinema on your living room wall connected to your Mac Pro in your office?

sigh of relief!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I'm just tired of the whole stupid thing. Why can't Apple sell Front Row with a USB IR dongle plus Apple Remote for $30-$40 and be done with it? We're not talking rocket science here; we're talking about other very capable Macs being prevented from using Front Row.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    We're talking about a bunch of third-party remotes much more functional than the Apple one and waiting for you to purchase them.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe

I'm just tired of the whole stupid thing. Why can't Apple sell Front Row with a USB IR dongle plus Apple Remote for $30-$40 and be done with it? We're not talking rocket science here; we're talking about other very capable Macs being prevented from using Front Row.

here
  • Reply 5 of 17
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I'm talking about how Apple doesn't list Front Row as included software with the Mac Pro. Since Apple didn't ship Front Row with any other Mac that doesn't come with a remote, I would not assume the Mac Pro comes with it.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I'm talking about how Apple doesn't list Front Row as included software with the Mac Pro. Since Apple didn't ship Front Row with any other Mac that doesn't come with a remote, I would not assume the Mac Pro comes with it.

Front Row will come with Leopard, however.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    I'd just like to know who the brain trust was at Apple that thought IR was an 'okay' technology to use for the Apple Front Row Remote (where you need LINE OF SIGHT - aka be in the same room as the Mac) as compared to RF where you can have a RADIUS range (as in all directions) of 60+ feet and the signal can pass thru walls/ceiling/etc.

Frankly RF would be be the minimum I would have expected and a UHF remote would have been even better (even better non-line-of-sight range).

Oh well I guess that just leaves room for the 3rd party hardware designers.

D
  • Reply 8 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

I think somebody uploaded it, it works with any Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    anyone else noticed how he said it would be the "next generation" of frontrow? meaning, possibly, more features?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    What would be awesome is that if they enabled the universal iPod dock to work as IR receiver for Front Row, for example, that when iPod is docked it would control iPod, othertimes, it would control Front Row. Universal dock is already connected to computer via usb, so only thing that they would need to do is direct the remote commands also to computer. What would also be quite interesting solution would be if they also made Airport Express usb port compatible with that as well, so you could put your universal iPod dock near your tv with Airport Express, Upload files to your Ipod over network, possibly even transmit s-video signal over network to your tv, and send your remote signals over wifi back to your computer. All the ports reguired for that are already there, only software, and also propably technical limitations prevent this from happening.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Reason for an IR remote. you need to be able to see the screen to be able to use the remote duh!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Write

Reason for an IR remote. you need to be able to see the screen to be able to use the remote duh!

No you don't, if you just want to skip songs. With wireless headset and ATI Remote Wonder, I quite often walk around my appartment listening and picking my music.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee

I'd just like to know who the brain trust was at Apple that thought IR was an 'okay' technology to use for the Apple Front Row Remote

See this thread
  • Reply 14 of 17
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab The Fab

I just ordered a new Mac Pro today, and reading your post I finally realized what's going on with the no remote or IR in this machine. I was very sad to order a new Mac with NO remote but now it's all clear to me... and very very obviously the only solution that makes sense:

The comming displays from Apple will offer glossy and not glossy, built in isight, and ofcause built in IR and remote for front row. After all, where will you be using front row? perhaps on that extra 30' Cinema on your living room wall connected to your Mac Pro in your office?

sigh of relief!

This probably does make sense as an option for you should Apple release screens like this, but you don't load Front Row onto your monitor, you load it onto the computer.

I want to know why they are including it with Leopard - a software package that anyone can purchase and load onto a Mac as far back as the original G3 iMac. I do not believe that you can hook up an additional monitor to that computer. Nor can you hook up an additional monitor to practically every other iMac ever sold... or eMacs or many iBooks, etc, but you will be able to load this application onto these computers and presumeably use it in some fashion. I am assuming this to be the case anyway because up to this point they have restricted the distribution of this software to only Macs with the IR port and a remote.

Now they are removing this restriction. How come?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501

What would be awesome is that if they enabled the universal iPod dock to work as IR receiver for Front Row, for example, that when iPod is docked it would control iPod, othertimes, it would control Front Row. Universal dock is already connected to computer via usb, so only thing that they would need to do is direct the remote commands also to computer. What would also be quite interesting solution would be if they also made Airport Express usb port compatible with that as well, so you could put your universal iPod dock near your tv with Airport Express, Upload files to your Ipod over network, possibly even transmit s-video signal over network to your tv, and send your remote signals over wifi back to your computer. All the ports reguired for that are already there, only software, and also propably technical limitations prevent this from happening.

I like the way you are thinking. The Apple Dock becoming the hub for integrating existing tech with the new apple boxes and products. Plus the ways one could split up their hardware across the home. Very good thoughts.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold

I want to know why they are including it with Leopard - a software package that anyone can purchase and load onto a Mac as far back as the original G3 iMac.

I'm just wondering something. The original G3 iMac did have an IR port, maybe it would at least run on that. 8)
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

I'm just wondering something. The original G3 iMac did have an IR port, maybe it would at least run on that. 8)

!!!!!! Nice work Scherlock !!!! good thinking ! you know.... it just migt ?