"NO IR Remote in Mac Pro" mystery solved (future hardware)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all

I just ordered a new Mac Pro (had to get that in there ofcause ) but it was with much sadness that I was ordering a new Mac WITHOUT a way to do frontrow... or so I THOUGHT !!!

Ladies and gentlemen... I think I've solved the mystery. I mean, how could Apples lates and greatest be WITHOUT such a cool feature....RIGHT???? Surely Apple didn't sit down and think "well our Pro customers would not like Frontrow..... WRONG!!!!

It's quite obvious what the answer is to this question, and I'm willing to bet (a lot of things besides my new Mac Pro) that I'm right:

The comming displays from Apple will include the option for glossy or not, iSight camera AND IR remote!!! After all, where are you gonna use that IR if you got yourself an extra 30' cinema in your living room hooked up to that Mac Pro in your office? In your livingroom ofcause. Wanna hook up an extra display for another room? just buy one for your bedroom and frontrow works in there too.

Mystery solved, when the next Apple cinema displays arrive (after they sold the current ones at the new lower price) we will all be able to run Frontrow which will be included in Leopard....

....suddenly everything makes sense again

Sincerely

Zab the Fab

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab The Fab

Hello all

I just ordered a new Mac Pro (had to get that in there ofcause ) but it was with much sadness that I was ordering a new Mac WITHOUT a way to do frontrow... or so I THOUGHT !!!

Ladies and gentlemen... I think I've solved the mystery. I mean, how could Apples lates and greatest be WITHOUT such a cool feature....RIGHT???? Surely Apple didn't sit down and think "well our Pro customers would not like Frontrow..... WRONG!!!!

It's quite obvious what the answer is to this question, and I'm willing to bet (a lot of things besides my new Mac Pro) that I'm right:

The comming displays from Apple will include the option for glossy or not, iSight camera AND IR remote!!! After all, where are you gonna use that IR if you got yourself an extra 30' cinema in your living room hooked up to that Mac Pro in your office? In your livingroom ofcause. Wanna hook up an extra display for another room? just buy one for your bedroom and frontrow works in there too.

Mystery solved, when the next Apple cinema displays arrive (after they sold the current ones at the new lower price) we will all be able to run Frontrow which will be included in Leopard....

....suddenly everything makes sense again

Sincerely

Zab the Fab

You may want to check out the "iSight 2.0" thread that's active.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwswami

You may want to check out the "iSight 2.0" thread that's active.

So we have to read every other thread on the site to make sure the subject has not been touched upon by others?

How is "iSight 2.0" a subject where "IR Frontrow will be in the next displays" fits into?

• Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

So we have to read every other thread on the site to make sure the subject has not been touched upon by others?

How is "iSight 2.0" a subject where "IR Frontrow will be in the next displays" fits into?

Please ignore "who said what first" and focus on the subject matter. Did you read it. What do you think?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Oh perhaps I misunderstood your point?

I think the new displays will have an IR sensor. How would the built in iSight work as an IR sensor? Don't get it.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

I think the new displays will have an IR sensor. How would the built in iSight work as an IR sensor? Don't get it.

I'm referring to the stand alone iSight Apple product.

• Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwswami

I'm referring to the stand alone iSight Apple product.

I think Apple will built in the cameras to make their displays as unique as possible and therefore also the IR. Just my opinion.

The iSight could also continue for all those customers who want's to get in the iChat and Frontrow game on the side.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

I think Apple will built in the cameras to make their displays as unique as possible and therefore also the IR. Just my opinion.

The iSight could also continue for all those customers who want's to get in the iChat and Frontrow game on the side.

You could be right. Lets wait and see ...

Just wanted to add ...

iChat, Frontrow, and even PhotoBooth are popular applications. With Leopard, Apple wants to provide these apps across the board. So think about Mac Mini, Mac Book (Pro), Mac Pro, Media center Mac etc. and also think about them being used with Cinema Displays, 3rd party displays, and (more and more in the future) with standard HighDef TVs. The easiest way to solve this is by providing one accessory - iSight 2.0 with better optics and builtin IR sensor.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    nvolkernvolker Posts: 18member
    I personally am hoping for the Next displays to launch at the same time as an Apple TV, one that could be a stand alone TV, and also connect via wi-fi to your home network to be able to run the front-row software. How cool would that be, turn on the tv with your apple remote (it might have to be redesigned a bit), flip through channels like you would a normal TV, then press a frontrow button and the TV show would transition into frontrow! Maybe there could be a built in hard drive to allow for a fifth, DVR type function in the front row interface? I dont care it it came in at $3999, i'd pick one up right away!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    What use would a camera be on an Apple display that only has tilt adjustment? They are best off bundling a revised iSight with it that clips/whatever to any side of the display. I just don't see the use of an isight built into a 23inch or 30inch display as the top would be too high for proper chat, and the bottom would be too low.

As for Front Row TV, I saw EyeTV 2 update added EyeTV into Front Row with all the features. I've given up on Apple adding TV tuning/support themselves... well outside a future mini that is
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Let's all remember that Apple has in the past added features in their new OS that required a new Mac. Quartz Extreme required a certain grafics card before it could be used etc.

So there would be nothing new in Apple adding FrontRow to Leopard and then launching new displays with built-in IR and iSight. Nothing new. I'm positive this will be the way for them to go.

About tilting the iSight from within a display, this CAN be done if they feel this is important.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    What about people who use two Cinema Displays? Like for video editing, how would built in cameras work then?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crjeong

What about people who use two Cinema Displays? Like for video editing, how would built in cameras work then?

Why wouldn't they? Firstly you have to connect that camera to your computer, so just don't connect that other camera. Or in system settings, there could be selection for ir receiver, not really that big problem.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    For some reason I don't want to have webcamera on my monitor, call be paranoid, but I just don't like the idea. iSight II would be elegant solution to add IR receiver, and most propable solution considering Apples recent urge to include iSight every where, but I don't think it would still be enough reason for many people to buy webcam. As I have said in earlier threads, I would like to use my universal iPod dock working as IR receiver. It's relatively inexpensive for everyone to buy, plus it would also tie iPod more closely to mac platform.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I can't wait to buy an overpriced display to use my gimmick of a remote.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Probably the same way it works in the iMac (which I'm pretty sure is through the iSight).

Any camera can be made to sense IR light.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Hello all

Well, Try hitting [command]-[esc]

on the macs with front row, that brings it up without the remote
  • Reply 17 of 17
    heres my idea.

the mac pro will have Front Row and Photo Booth

the new displays will have a IR censor in the corner of the display and a iSight camra on the top

on the back next to the USB 2.0/FireWire 400 and 800(new to the display) there will be a switch to turn off the IR censor/iSight

if you don't use them or have a mac with a IR censor/iSight

3rd party displays will not have support for Front Row/Photo Booth