Mac OS Version? + Bootcamp/XP help

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just got my first Apple and I really have no idea what I'm doing..haha.

Anyways Ive been trying to install Bootcamp and XP but haven't had any luck...I just bought my macbook about a month ago so shouldn't it come with Mac OSX 10.4.6? How do I check to see which version I have installed??

Also I downloaded Bootcamp Beta, followed the installation guide but I don't get prompted to a lot of the screens that are on the installation guide screen shots, there's no option for me to burn the Mac Drivers or to create a partition. Please someone help me ~

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiffanyCo

Anyways Ive been trying to install Bootcamp and XP but haven't had any luck...I just bought my macbook about a month ago so shouldn't it come with Mac OSX 10.4.6? How do I check to see which version I have installed??

To check system specs: Go to Apple Menu (little Apple on the upper Left hand corner of the menu bar)>About this Mac.

To update system and firmware. Apple Menu>Software Update and install any OS and firmware updates that are available and restart when prompted. Theb try installing Bootcamp/XP again.

Write back and let us know if you still have any problems.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks for the reply...I checked and I have 10.4.7...only update I had was a security update, did that as well.

I tried to re-install the bootcamp assistant but it's not like what it's show in the installation guide..all it does is download an upgrade support and then it finishes, nothing else.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Thanks for the reply...I checked and I have 10.4.7...only update I had was a security update, did that as well.

I tried to re-install the bootcamp assistant but it's not like what it's show in the installation guide..all it does is download an upgrade support and then it finishes, nothing else.

Do you have a valid (ie unregistered) copy of XP Service Pack 2? At exactly what point does the process diverge from the installation guide?

I'll try to get others on these boards to help (a_greer, Chucker, hmurchison, Placebo, JunkYardDawg and others are far more knowlegeable than I am, I'll see if I can get them involved).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks for your help, really appreciate it ~

I do have a valid copy of WinXP SP2...when I insert it in isn't it automatically supposed to run the install? Instead I have to open up the folder..I click on the executable "setup.exe" then it says "there is no default application to open the document" ...not sure what to do at that point.

But what's weird is that I'm supposed to go through the bootcamp steps first, burning the Mac drivers that the installation guide said but it doesn't even get to that option.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it ~

I do have a valid copy of WinXP SP2...when I insert it in isn't it automatically supposed to run the install? Instead I have to open up the folder..I click on the executable "setup.exe" then it says "there is no default application to open the document" ...not sure what to do at that point.

But what's weird is that I'm supposed to go through the bootcamp steps first, burning the Mac drivers that the installation guide said but it doesn't even get to that option.

I don't have intel mac, and never have installed bootcamp, but one thing is for sure mac don't run exe files, you have to run bootcamp first. Then you boot from your windows cd. Follow the instructions here.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    You'll need to have a copy of windows xp that has SP2 included. All on one disk. And make sure your firmware is updated. You'll have to install it then shut down. When you restart hold your power button till the light flashes. Then it'll install the firmware correctly.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    For bootcamp to run correctly, you first need to install the firmware-update from here

If all is right, then you will be able to burn the driver cd and create a partition for windows.

be sure to select c: as the drive to install windows on!