Mac Pro noise level?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
For those who have had the opportunity to use the Mac Pro in a relatively quiet environment, I'd like to hear your opinions on the noise level.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I haven't bought or heard one yet, but by the looks of it, it should be quieter or just as quet as the G5, because there are huge heatsinks to reduce fan usage.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    I put my ear to it, and it's completely silent. Almost cooled passively.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Do the fans still rev up when it wakes from sleep?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    I loved that part about my G5, good question.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Can someone start a mac Pro in single user mode? That turns all the fans on full so you can hear what it will be like under a very heavy load.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Dear God, let's just hope that infernal chirping that plagued the first batches of G5s is gone with the Mac Pros.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    I got my Mac Pro today, and its really quiet. There's more hiss coming from my speakers (plugged into my PC)

edit: The fans dont come on after sleep, you can just hear the drive spin up
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Whoa, that sounds awesome.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Installing boot camp now, we'll see if it's a quiet PC too

(writing from my compaq laptop)
  • Reply 10 of 40
    That should be interesting, since I think the fans are OS X controlled; maybe Apple has a fan driver for Windows.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Just got a BSOD during windows install. I might have to do a little tweaking...
  • Reply 12 of 40
    sgtpepersgtpeper Posts: 124member
    Bsod?
  • Reply 13 of 40
    sgtpepersgtpeper Posts: 124member
    blue screen of death...?
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Blue Screen Of Death.

Kernel Panic in OSX speak. I think I might be using a windows sp1 disk not a sp2.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by epimetheus

Dear God, let's just hope that infernal chirping that plagued the first batches of G5s is gone with the Mac Pros.

To the best of my knowledge, Apple never completely got rid of the chirping. They went through something like seven or eight revisions of power supply.

Yes, it would be interesting to know if it is gone in the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

That should be interesting, since I think the fans are OS X controlled; maybe Apple has a fan driver for Windows.

I think the fans are controlled by the PMU firmware.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

I think the fans are controlled by the PMU firmware.

Does that mean the fans will be controlled in XP aswell?
  • Reply 18 of 40
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

I put my ear to it, and it's completely silent. Almost cooled passively.

I am not one to call people out for lieing, but a QUIET quad xeon box?!?!?!?!? This thing is, for all practical purposes, lets face it, a tower server. If the cooling system is as quiet as you say, then I really wanna know how they did it; there seems to be so little baffling in the case: and the thing is aluminium, which would serve to increase whatever noise is put out...
  • Reply 19 of 40
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikethomson

I got my Mac Pro today, and its really quiet. There's more hiss coming from my speakers (plugged into my PC)

edit: The fans dont come on after sleep, you can just hear the drive spin up

so what happens when you really spin the tires on this bad ass hot rod? compile code, run a database, compress /encode uncompressed video...
  • Reply 20 of 40
    I have to agree with theapplegenious. The only noise I can hear right now is the low hum of my external Maxtor drive and the CD in my Mac Pro. It REALLY is THAT quiet.. so why am I shouting