Why Macbooks are NOT overpriced...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
From the "you get what you pay for" dept:

Apperently, It is physicly impossible to use both included USB ports at the same time on certin Dell notebooks. It is pathetic industrial design like that (and the esposed pop-ribbits holding together their low-to-mid range towers) that make Dell the laughingstock of the computing community, yet they sell so damn many...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, after all, a lot of R&D, manufacturing costs, and increased margins are necessary for a company to NOT BE RETARDED.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Hey Dell makes great computer for the average folks. Imagine if your a college student with only 300 bucks and you need a new computer. You can get a dell. Its like they are out there to benefit people.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Coming from SGI, and onto MAC's, I am a long time user of propietary hardware, even when I was a student only a few years ago. Mac's are a lot cheaper than an effective SGI off eBay plus software. So when learning 3d/video/compositing what do you by? a £3000 second hand SGI, a new £1500 mac, or a piece of shit dell for £280 which can't do squat?

I rarely saw art/video/games students going out to get a cheap laptop, Mac's were the way for maya, photoshop, combustion, flash, and final cut.

Apple really could do with some new strategies to drive down the cost even more, the intel's will aid this process but it will take time.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teatimebing

Apple really could do with some new strategies to drive down the cost even more, the intel's will aid this process but it will take time.

Lower prices are good, no argument against that. A friend was recently shopping for a computer. She looked at the MacBooks at the Apple store a couple of times and told me "This is so nice, but I can get a Dell for $500." I told her to look at the specs and decide if the Dell was adequate for what she wanted to do. I also told her to consider the strengths and weaknesses of the OSes (she had never used a Mac and I got my first Mac 1 1/2 years ago, but I am definitely biased for OS X). She did the math and decided to get the MacBook and she loves it.

So yeah, the $500 Dell would be perfect for some people's needs, and conversely, the MacBook could conceivably be too much for some people. "The point is that price alone should not be dispositive."
  • Reply 5 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antartican

Hey Dell makes great computer for the average folks. Imagine if your a college student with only 300 bucks and you need a new computer. You can get a dell. Its like they are out there to benefit people.

Better make it $350, to pay someone to clean all of the crapware and make it purr on the pultry stock ram...
  • Reply 6 of 15
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    This is hardly just a Dell issue... it's fairly common for notebook manufacturers (and even some desktop ones) to put their USB ports on top of each other. If you have two pretty hefty USB plugs, they won't both fit. It seems like such an easy thing to catch (especially since it's been going on for years)... but lots of companies still do it.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joey

This is hardly just a Dell issue... it's fairly common for notebook manufacturers (and even some desktop ones) to put their USB ports on top of each other. If you have two pretty hefty USB plugs, they won't both fit. It seems like such an easy thing to catch (especially since it's been going on for years)... but lots of companies still do it.

Such poor design is inexcusable. Dell should remove one of the USB ports since both can't be used simultaniously. What a joke.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    I purchased a MBP about a month ago and love it. My girlfriend doesn't want to use MacOSX and doesn't need a great GPU, so we looked at the best price/performance PC side. Funny thing is, I actually work for Dell so I got her 15% off a Inspirion 6400. I bought the 2Ghz core duo, 1GB ram, 120 GB HDD, Intel GMA 950, 15.4", 8x burner for $968 CAD. Seeing as she didn't need anything special, I found that to be an awesome price and a machine that could last her a long time. I, personally, find it bloody huge and clunky but it will suit her needs. As well, it is more of a desktop replacement as she won't be taking it too many places.

PS. Oh, I turned it on and had all this crap software popping up in my face and couldn't take more than 2 minutes of it before I wiped it and put a fresh copy of XP Pro on. (Working for Dell has the perks of free MSDN downloads)
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron

I purchased a MBP about a month ago and love it. My girlfriend doesn't want to use MacOSX and doesn't need a great GPU, so we looked at the best price/performance PC side. Funny thing is, I actually work for Dell so I got her 15% off a Inspirion 6400. I bought the 2Ghz core duo, 1GB ram, 120 GB HDD, Intel GMA 950, 15.4", 8x burner for $968 CAD. Seeing as she didn't need anything special, I found that to be an awesome price and a machine that could last her a long time. I, personally, find it bloody huge and clunky but it will suit her needs. As well, it is more of a desktop replacement as she won't be taking it too many places.

PS. Oh, I turned it on and had all this crap software popping up in my face and couldn't take more than 2 minutes of it before I wiped it and put a fresh copy of XP Pro on. (Working for Dell has the perks of free MSDN downloads)

Hope she can access all the USB ports at the same time, if necessary.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Such poor design is inexcusable. Dell should remove one of the USB ports since both can't be used simultaniously. What a joke.

No no, I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the second USB port, you see, it's a backup port for when the one that you're using fails...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyj

No no, I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the second USB port, you see, it's a backup port for when the one that you're using fails...

Yeah now I get it.

Maybe they should stack three of them on top of each other. A back up for the back up. That's elegant engineering, right?.......
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Why yes of course.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I will have to investigate this USB issue a bit further. It appears that the newer Inspirons' have a different chassis, so hopefully the USB layout isn't quite as stupid. Since I am on vacation, that won't be until next week.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron

Why not do it like us pesants and remove the shit from safemode?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I put on XP Pro instead of Home. And, I find it much easier to do a clean install, the registry doesn't get all messed up. Btw, my GF's Inspirion 6400 has a bigger gap between the two USB ports. I successfully plugged in my printers' USB and Logitech MX1000. And before anyone asks, no this unit doesn't have a recall on its battery!