Current Mac Book Pro vs. impending MBP-Merom

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
All,

Have a 17" PB G4-1.5 that I'm looking to upgrade. use it a lot for work because I'm still probably months away from getting a dedicated Mac Pro work station.

My PB does ok for Photoshop and other tasks, but once I load up on a lot of apps, it starts to grind.

I've been considering a Mac Book Pro 17" as a replacement, but now with the merom's (hopefully) just around the corner, I think it might be wise to wait.

What kind of performance gains can one expect going from a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo? Also, do you think the 17" Merom will still be in the $2800 range?

Also -- I haven't had a chance to go to the Apple store to see the difference first hand between the regular and glossy screen. Anyone have any preferences, pro or con? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    most importantly imo - the merom-based macbooks will (hopefully) support more ram than the (halfasses) limit of 2GB in the present lineup...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by epimetheus

What kind of performance gains can one expect going from a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo? Also, do you think the 17" Merom will still be in the $2800 range?

Merom will be approximately 15% faster than Yonah clock for clock. Or in other words, a 2 GHz Merom ~= 2.3 GHz Yonah. Some apps will be less than 10% gain, others will be greater than 20% gain. Overall, Merom should be faster in all cases.

Depending on features the 17" MBP will likely be in the 2800 to 3000 $ range. Apple likes it price points.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    The chips are identical in price, so unless they add some wild new features it'd be hard to justify any price increases.