Outlook Replacement

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Im new to the Mac OS and just bought a MacBook Pro can any one recommend an outlook replacement. I need it to have email capabilities obviously and a calender and contracts. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Other than Outlook, the built in Mail client ("Mail") is the only program I'm aware of -- on any platform -- that can connect to Exchange servers. It also works with iCal (also built-in) to do calendar stuff. If an Outlook user sends you a meeting notifaction from outlook, you can double click on it (it shows up as an attachment) and it will load into iCal. Add Address Book and there's your contacts list.

All together they are three apps, but they all work together seamlessly and come with Mac OS X. Supposedly, in the next version of OS X, Mail will absorb these two features, turning the three apps into one. Each individual app is substantially superior to their equivalent features in Outlook, plus, they don't drag your system to a standstill the way Outlook does from time to time. I use Outlook at work, and the mac equivalent is vastly superior, albeit a bit different.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    In my experience, these three apps work together better than MS's mashed together multiple-apps-in-one Outlook solution. That being said there might be some particular feature that you've gotten used to in Outlook, the replacement of which may not be readily apparent. If so, just post it here and we'll try and help you out!

Good luck (and welcome to the forums)
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Ok thanks guys.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Evolution, a linux app, is designed to be an outlook alternative, ideal for groupwisre services, and exchange servers. (comes with all good linux distros). Novell seem to be managing the code for the linux version now, as well as an OSX port Here I have never tried the OSX port myself but the linux port is fantastic.

A windows port can be found here.

Seriously if you want to use outlook features and functions on other platforms then look no further than evolution. However Outlook PST file support is limited unless you want to do some hideous converting between Mozilla and outlook express, DONT DO IT! Use a mail-box instead of a PST, transfer (drag and drop), all your PST data to your mailbox for an easy transition, and better mobility and access to your email.

If you need some help with the server side of things (I am an exchange admin), the PM me or ask here. I will give the OSX port a go soon, normally I just use web access. I am i holland at the moment, and I am choking up my buddies bandwidth enough already
  • Reply 5 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teatimebing

I have never tried the OSX port myself

Be glad.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

In my experience, these three apps work together better than MS's mashed together multiple-apps-in-one Outlook solution...

However, in Leopard Apple has integrated Notes and To Dos right into Mail.

This comes pretty close to admitting that email, calendering and contact management need to be closely aligned.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777

However, in Leopard Apple has integrated Notes and To Dos right into Mail.

This comes pretty close to admitting that email, calendering and contact management need to be closely aligned.

Notes and To Dos are neither email, calendering, nor contact management. It's more like taking some features that used to be mashed onto the calendering app and mashing them to the mail app as well.

That said, I'm not sure I like it. But as long as iCal doesn't lose it's To Do capability, and Dashboard still has Stickies, I won't complain. I'll try it out and, if I don't like it, simply use the other solutions.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Well Notes can be generic, but To Dos are definitely a part of calendaring.

Pairing actions with a date and time is what calendars are about.

And when those actions involve other people, it moves into the realm of contact management.

While I understand that Redmond's vision is cluttered and counter-productive (when is it otherwise?), I think it's just a matter of Apple taking a hard look at the links between the areas and continuing to integrate them properly.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777

Well Notes can be generic, but To Dos are definitely a part of calendaring.

Pairing actions with a date and time is what calendars are about.

And when those actions involve other people, it moves into the realm of contact management.

While I understand that Redmond's vision is cluttered and counter-productive (when is it otherwise?), I think it's just a matter of Apple taking a hard look at the links between the areas and continuing to integrate them properly.

Absolutely! I think we've reached agreement. There's no question that these things are all intrinsically related and deserve to be integrated in a logical and intuitive fashion.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    You might want to take a look at CRM4Mac. From the web site:

Crm4Mac integrates the standard Apple software for email, calendars and contacts into 1 view.

Version 2.x is currently $49.95 and version 3, which is in beta, will be $79.95, but upgrading from 2.x to 3.x will be free of charge.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    The OSX port of Evolution for Linux "does" work! Having said that though - "Chucker" is correct, in that it was a hassle - needed to install X11, then start X11 and use it to launch Evolution . As I indicated though, if you're stubborn, it "does" work . I find using Mail.app much simpler !
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I will get to the point, I am a brand new MAC user and find certain things frustrating. ie: Despite outlooks apparent problems, I do like or got used to certain features. My favorite is that you can look for the name of a specific email and search in a choice of folder ie: inbox archive etc.

Q: Does MAC mail or any 3rd party programs provide this function?

Thank you for the help here.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Perry Pecker View Post

I will get to the point, I am a brand new MAC user and find certain things frustrating. ie: Despite outlooks apparent problems, I do like or got used to certain features. My favorite is that you can look for the name of a specific email and search in a choice of folder ie: inbox archive etc.

Q: Does MAC mail or any 3rd party programs provide this function?

Thank you for the help here.

If you are in the particular folder (or have multiple folders selected, in which you want to search), just start typing your search in the search box; above the search results you will see the option to search in all mailboxes, or just the one you are in, and to search by the whole message or just particular fields.

Also, you can save your searches as smart mailboxes by hitting the save button.

I hope this solves your problem, I'm worried that maybe I misunderstood you since this seems like an obvious thing to do. Is the actual problem that the search field not visible in your toolbar maybe?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I too am new to Macbook Pro - wonderful, glad I made the switch. However, I would like to have a task/to do list like I had with outlook, any suggestions?

Also, in mail, is there a way to turn on a spell check/auto correct or is there an editor you can use with the iMail app? i am a tirrible spiller
  • Reply 15 of 16
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swampyankee View Post

I too am new to Macbook Pro - wonderful, glad I made the switch. However, I would like to have a task/to do list like I had with outlook, any suggestions?

Also, in mail, is there a way to turn on a spell check/auto correct or is there an editor you can use with the iMail app? i am a tirrible spiller

I don't know about task/to do list. You'll have to look at third parties. iCal sucks as anything other than a kitchen wall calendar.

In Mail select how you want your spelling to be check on the Composing Tab in Mail Preferences.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swampyankee View Post

I use Things. It's a bit expensive but great as a task planner and syncs to the iphone version they also have.