radeon 1900 XT and Quad G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
On the apple store there is an upgrade video solution for the newcoming mac pro.

That's said, there is no video update for G5 owners with crappy 6600 video card (Aperture is faster with the 7800 GT).

My question is : is there a chance that the newcoming radeon X1900XT could work in the quad G5 (or any PCI express G5) ?

Is it only a driver problem, or is it related to a different bios.

I am very angry about Apple concerning video update

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Hi Powerdoc,

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ATI themselves were coming out with a X1900 version specifically for the G5s - apparantly not quite as quick as the BTO one in the Mac Pros, but nearly. Sorry, but I don't have a link...

David
  • Reply 2 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

Hi Powerdoc,

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ATI themselves were coming out with a X1900 version specifically for the G5s - apparantly not quite as quick as the BTO one in the Mac Pros, but nearly. Sorry, but I don't have a link...

David

Thanks for the new. Mac Generation reported this. As soon the card appear I will order one. I doubt that there will be any serious update for the G5.

BTW the radeon X1900 XT would be a nice improvement compared to the 6600 (it's not even a GT). I expect a 400 % factor, at least for games
  • Reply 3 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Meanwhile, how 'bout them X1900 XT orders?