Macbook Power Cable for India?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I don't know if this question can be answered here, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

I shall be travelling to India with my Macbook. India runs on 220 volts instead of 110, which in itself is not a problem s the Macbook will work on 220 without problems.

The issue is the power cord. The Indian power socket looks quite different from North American power sockets. There are two cylindrical prongs at the bottom and one cylindrical prong at the top (for Ground) whereas the north American sockets have two flat prongs at the top and one cylindrical prong at the bottom for ground.

If this were a PC laptop or desktop, all I have to do is use a power cord from India and voila, I am up and running. With the Macbook, I can only use the power cord that comes with it because of the unusual design.

Any ideas on how I can use my Macbook in India?

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    There are some adapters that fit into the Indian wall socket and provide a US/Canadian socket on the other end. You plug in your usual Macbook cable at the other end. You should be able to purchase it at a Radioshack outlet before you travel or you can pick it up from any electrical shop in India.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Apple sells a travel adapter kit that includes prongs for [most] countries. All you have to do is slide the american adapter off the power brick and slide on the Asian.

I bought this when I went to Israel last year, and works fine.

It should also work with the iPod power bricks, so that's a plus if you have one.

Enjoy your trip,

Noah
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thanks talksense

noah, thanks, I already know about the Apple travel kit, but they are too expensive, plus I only need the India connector, not the rest, so it is a waste for me.

Cheers
  • Reply 4 of 4
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt

Thanks talksense

noah, thanks, I already know about the Apple travel kit, but they are too expensive, plus I only need the India connector, not the rest, so it is a waste for me.

Cheers

buy it, and sell it when you're done with it. Or sell the ones you don't need...