Different colors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i think that apple should have different colors for their mac hardware...like maybe mac minis in the colors of the ipod minis, or a black iMac...different options for the macbook pro (but still metal)....black AND white macbooks? give me your thoughts

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    taste the rainbow
  • Reply 2 of 22
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I like the idea. As much as I like the look of the new hardware they have slipped into a monochromatic THX kind of futurist look with all black and white and chrome. Which really isn't a whole lot different then the beige box they started rebelling against in the late 90's. Just a different kind of bland. They look nice and all but there's not a whole lot of flavor. Maybe a bondi blue imac color on the new imac just for old times sake hahaha
  • Reply 3 of 22
    When Apple went color before, it was totally ground-breaking. Unexpected. Welcomed. The iMacs and G3s and iBooks, together with transparent cables and plugs, were so different and beautiful. But then PC makers followed suit. Then you could buy a Bondi Blue stapler.

The last straw was the new line of iMac colored George Foreman Grills.

Apple did a 180, went white. Went metallic for pro. They eventually gave in to the allure and opposite scheme with Black iPods and now Mac Books.

Refined. Elegant. Understated.

A new color shift would be a major overhaul of their current positioning of zen simplicity. They could definitely do it. But it would be tasteful - a restrained palate. It would have to be groundbreaking and refreshing. Now that the PC world has gone black and metallic, and abandoned the tranparent colored plastics they had copied, there could be an opening.

Pink.

Virginal.

Apple, touch me for the very first time.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I agree. But I'm not so sure it would have to be revolutionary though. Maybe just slight transition.

If they could create a sort of pale color effect to the aluminum of a Macbook Pro and Mac Pro. Like a hint... just a ting of dark red or blue or something that might be neat. Almost barely noticeable.

Or perhaps they could go with a pale copper and/or gold brushed finish for the pro line.

I've aways thought this was a beautiful looking device

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/744t.htm

It's kind of hard to imagine where they'd go from here. When you get to black and white and silver (and you make them look really good) you wonder how else you can get more universally acceptable.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by son of Gib

Apple, touch me for the very first time.

Now that is just wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Instead of colours, Apple has now moved on to textures on their machines, see the contrast between chrome and matt plastic/aluminum, soft-touch surfaces instead of shiny plastics. It's here where PC manufacturers have yet to catch up.

Next logical step would be fur! brig on the leopard fur lined iMac....

White fur would also be nice....
  • Reply 7 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They're probably literally losing sales, esp. to women, because of lack of color. And, I'll admit it, I loved the colored Macs. Then again, I love aesthetics, I'm really in to interior design, clothing, that sort of thing. The look of everything has to mesh, and be vibrant. No I'm not joking! I really want a purrdy iMac or Mac mini someday, like a year or two from now when I have the funds. I hope they come out with MacBooks in color for the rev B too by the time I pick one up. Seriously, I just loved the fruity iMacs back in the 90s. I wanted to eat them! And I always wanted one of those orange iBooks. The really need to bring that back. Metal and white are so boring.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

I've aways thought this was a beautiful looking device

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/744t.htm

EWWWWWWWWWWW!

The macs now are the nicest looking things on the market. simple. Colours may start arising i guess, probably in the ipods first...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    colors are such a wasted expense. white and the neutral gray tone finish of the aluminum look great everywhere. i can't see the machines as they are currently designed looking good colored. some mentioned Gold Pro Mac; that would look atrocious, IMO...

maybe with a case redesign, but for now: no.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

They're probably literally losing sales, esp. to women, because of lack of color. And, I'll admit it, I loved the colored Macs. Then again, I love aesthetics, I'm really in to interior design, clothing, that sort of thing. The look of everything has to mesh, and be vibrant. No I'm not joking! I really want a purrdy iMac or Mac mini someday, like a year or two from now when I have the funds. I hope they come out with MacBooks in color for the rev B too by the time I pick one up. Seriously, I just loved the fruity iMacs back in the 90s. I wanted to eat them! And I always wanted one of those orange iBooks. The really need to bring that back. Metal and white are so boring.

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/...cmini.aspx#Tab

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/...?configid=1226

http://www.fastmac.com/ProductPage/spicymini.html

Vinea
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous

colors are such a wasted expense. white and the neutral gray tone finish of the aluminum look great everywhere. i can't see the machines as they are currently designed looking good colored. some mentioned Gold Pro Mac; that would look atrocious, IMO...

maybe with a case redesign, but for now: no.

http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventor...rrari_back.jpg

http://www.colorwarepc.com/_inventor...rari_combo.jpg

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/..._iMac.aspx#Tab

The Ferrari red iMac looks pretty snazzy. Midnight and Prowler pretty good too. I wonder what they look like in person.

Color match with a hardpack and you'd have a nice combo:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/...=33&optId=2159

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/...=33&optId=2170

Vinea
  • Reply 12 of 22
    well i guess i disagree. the ferrari red iMac + aluminum looks terrible. it looks like exactly what it is: thrown on after the fact and not actually schemed as part of the design.

the only thing i say that interested me was the black mini with white apple logo.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous

well i guess i disagree. the ferrari red iMac + aluminum looks terrible. it looks like exactly what it is: thrown on after the fact and not actually schemed as part of the design.

the only thing i say that interested me was the black mini with white apple logo.

What other color would you make the stand? If nothing else the aluminium either tries to fade into the background or evoke the alloy wheels of a Ferrari.

Perhaps white powdercoated. Eh.

Vinea
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Copper Mac Pro

Forest Mac Pro

Gold Mac Pro

Steel Blue Mac Pro

• Reply 15 of 22
    And of course

Red Delicious

• Reply 16 of 22
    I hope I don't offend, but I'm really glad the people currently dictating the look of these computers are the ones that hold the positions
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Come to think of it, HAIII Hard anodized Mac Book Pro would be awesome.

for those of you who don't know, hard anodize or natural anodize is used in military gear, all the stuff you see that's sort of olive-ish, it gives more protection than normal anodizing with colour dye. I think all of Apple's current aluminium stuff is already natural (no dye) anodized, that's why it's not silver, HA3 level is the military-grade that's definitely scratch proof.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    You guys should check out colorware
  • Reply 19 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Jesus Christ that site...I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. :eek:

All the examples so far are complete shit. No offense. The ORIGINAL iMacs were so vibrant, very warm colors. Something along those lines...would be good.. NOT a waste of money...that's why the freakin' sold rageous. That's HALF the reason Apple came back to life. Because the computers were in color. And all in one. Plus a few technical things like quick USB adoption. But the iMac success was due in large part to color. I am positive they're losing some sales with the lack of color. I mean sure keep current options for "pros" or "guy" guys, but adding color options would more than pay for itself I'm sure.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    I said it's a waste now. show me where i commented on old iMacs and their colors please. also, i'd like to see some numbers that support the claim the colors are what made the iMac popular and not other insignifcant things like that it was small, worked right out of the box and was internet ready from the get-go.

why is it a waste? increased manufacturing costs and less popular colors taking up inventory space. if colors were so critically important, why does Apple keep getting rid of them? and if they keep getting rid of them, why are they now selling more and more Macs every quarter?

you'll note i said the colors would look poor on THESE computers. None of the old iMacs were one solid color, save for snow. with the minimalist design of the current computers they would just look like big chunks of color, which is extremely gaudy. if they saw redesigns that allow for accent colors, like the original iMacs, it could work again.

As it stands, nearly every example linked to looks like rotting garbage.