Future of Xeon

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We already know the future platform Santa Rosa as the evolution of Merom... What is planned for the future of the Xeon? And when? Is there any plan yet? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Clovertown: quad-core version of woodcrest (in fact 2 woodcrest chips on the same die), should be introduced late Q4, rumored to be at 2.66GHz, around 110W, 1066 or 1333 FSB.

Like Kentsfield to Conroe, Clovertown is likely to be introduced as an Extreme Edition of Woodcrest, not a new line of cpus.

Also rumored, are speedbumped versions of Conroe and Woodcrest: a 3.20GHz Conroe in Q4 and a 3.46 version in Q3 2007, Woodcrest may also be bumped to 3.33GHz around the same time...

2008 will bring all-new mobile, desktop and server chips...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    The future is Bearlake with support for PCIe 2.0, support for proper quad core CPUs and some other stuff. Why's that important? Support for virtualisation of PCIe.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix

Clovertown: quad-core version of woodcrest (in fact 2 woodcrest chips on the same die), should be introduced late Q4, rumored to be at 2.66GHz, around 110W, 1066 or 1333 FSB.

Like Kentsfield to Conroe, Clovertown is likely to be introduced as an Extreme Edition of Woodcrest, not a new line of cpus.

Also rumored, are speedbumped versions of Conroe and Woodcrest: a 3.20GHz Conroe in Q4 and a 3.46 version in Q3 2007, Woodcrest may also be bumped to 3.33GHz around the same time...

2008 will bring all-new mobile, desktop and server chips...

Will Clovertown be socket-compatible with the Woodcrests? IOW, in Spring '07 when I have $$$ falling out my posterior, could I yank the two Woodcrests out of my Mac Pro and replace them with Clovertowns?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar

The future is Bearlake with support for PCIe 2.0, support for proper quad core CPUs and some other stuff. Why's that important? Support for virtualisation of PCIe.

virtualization of PCIe is part PCIe 2.0 but you may need chip set support as well card support.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar

As far as I know, Bearlake is for Conroe and Kentsfield, not for Xeon and Clovertown. It will replace the current 965 series motherboards.

Equivalent for server chips is likely to be Seaburg.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by epimetheus

Will Clovertown be socket-compatible with the Woodcrests? IOW, in Spring '07 when I have $$$ falling out my posterior, could I yank the two Woodcrests out of my Mac Pro and replace them with Clovertowns?

It looks like it will be pin-compatible with Woodcrest chips... But you may need a firmware update???
  • Reply 7 of 12
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Penryn 45nm die shrink of Merom design, is expected to be released in 2007. The 45nm Conroe successor will be named Wolfdale (3MB cache) or Ridgefield (6MB cache).

Tigerton server CPU is expected to be released in Q3 2007. Tigerton will use a high-speed interconnect technology for direct connection of each cpu to the chipset and is expected to be a low power, 4 core Merom design on a 45nm process using the new Caneland platform. There will be a desktop part named Bloomsfield.

Nehalem 45nm with new microarchitecture, is expected to be released in 2008.

Nehalem-C 32nm die shrink of Nehalem, is expected to be released in 2009.

Gesher 32nm with new microarchitecture, is expected to be released in 2010.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Clovertown: (...) rumored to be (...) 1066 or 1333 FSB.

Members of xtremesystems.org are already torturing Kentsfield cpus and seem not to have a problem with FSB 1333.

Or want some numbers from Clovertown?

The cpus are unbelievable fast
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Intel needs better code names. Their CPU names sound like street names in some cheesy midwest subdivision. "Woodcrestl," as in, "Woodcrest Estates," or the subdivision with neither woods, nor crests or hills of any sort.

Couldn't they hire somebody to think up cool code names?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    "Well as you can see, we've got The Destroyer of Worlds set to release around this time next year, and then after that we've got Furious Stormkiller and El Diavolo coming up. By 2009 we should have Rock Hardpunch and Huge Erection ready to go. Any questions?"
  • Reply 11 of 12
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

As far as I know, Bearlake is for Conroe and Kentsfield, not for Xeon and Clovertown. It will replace the current 965 series motherboards.

Equivalent for server chips is likely to be Seaburg.

Oops my mistake
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smalM

Members of xtremesystems.org are already torturing Kentsfield cpus and seem not to have a problem with FSB 1333.

Or want some numbers from Clovertown?

The cpus are unbelievable fast

This is overclocking (like playing with your motorcycle engine to gain some more hps or mphs).

This is not the way the chips are planned to be used (by Intel).

I read somewhere that one overclocker did this kind of thing, has been able to take ONE snapshot of the window and that's all, the computer froze there. Nothing else to do with it.

The last info I found says 1066FSB for Kentsfield and maybe 1333 for Clovertown, both at 2.66GHz (and 110W) at launch.