Show us your Mac Pros

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can the lucky people that have received their Mac Pros show us pictures of your Mac Pro and your set-up? You lucky bastards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    bubezbubez Posts: 5member
    Yes I'd like to see a good zoomed photo of the motherboard to see if there's any audio connector and the type of the graphics card power plug
  • Reply 2 of 34
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member

This thing replaced my G5.

The wire shelf thing between it and the monitors is where my PC tower was. I sold it because I don't need it anymore!

As soon as I upgrade the video card, I'm hooking up that LCD below it (it's a drawer that pulls out) and getting a monitor for the arm to the left of the setup
  • Reply 3 of 34
    All that I can add is clean up, your home office is a mess.

Garden chairs belong in the Garden...
  • Reply 4 of 34
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

This thing replaced my G5.

Several questions:

1. How quiet/noisy is it, in your opinion?

2. Have you noticed a considerable difference in performance?

3. You have a lot of PC peripherals, are you a switcher?

4. Was it worth the wait?

thanks for the pic
  • Reply 5 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What's going on with the strip of ports on the front of the Mac Pro in that pic, looks like the little un-holepunched rectangle like peeling off...
  • Reply 6 of 34
    First off, I live in a studio apartment so those chairs have nowhere else to go

second, my desk is messy because to the left is a powermac G4 I'm repairing/upgrading for a client and that's usually where I put all my crap

1. The mac pro is easily ness noisy than the G5. I don't even hear it. Also, the fact that I don't need an external enclosure to hold all my HDs means there's a lot less noise.

2. I haven't noticed a difference in performance yet. Truth be told, I haven't really done much with the machine as I've been working at another location for 50 hours a week over the summer (today's my last day!)

3. I'm not a switcher, I just don't place any value on 'looks', so everything looks like 'PC stuff'.. plus I'm a starving college student? so I can't afford not to roll my own... everything.

You should've seen my old monitor stand for the 2nd monitor--had duct tape all over it and a USB hub zip-tied to the front.

4. I had no wait on my Mac pro, I just went to the Apple store and picked up a stock model. As the year goes by, I plan to add another video card and another 1 or 2GB of RAM (no money at the moment).

This computer WAS worth what I paid. I sold my G5 and my PC and put in $500 cash to get it, and it replaces both machines and then some. I miss being able to use my KVM to switch from PC Internet Explorer to my mac (I'm a web developer, mostly), but with parallels, I hope to solve that issue.

What's going on with the strip of ports on the front of the Mac Pro in that pic, looks like the little un-holepunched rectangle like peeling off...

That's an iPod Shuffle. I bought it when the battery on my iPod went down to 20 minutes.. and then I got the free battery replacement via the law suit.

Yeah it's a messy setup, but it's clean compared to the rest of this place.. working 50 hours a week means you have time to mess up your apartment but no time to clean it... oddly enough, I'll be less busy when school starts.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

oddly enough, I'll be less busy when school starts.

I hear ya....\
  • Reply 8 of 34
    I always love seeing a $2400 computer on a $24 piece of furniture.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    A CRT and LCD together for desktop spanning? Ehhhhh.....

I also commend you for having all 5 speakers of your surround sound system directly in front of you.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The guy is nice enough to show pictures of his new Mac Pro and people are busting his chops over furniture. Nice.....
  • Reply 11 of 34
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Checking eBay, I figure I can get maybe $1500 for my dual G5 that has 3.5 GB of RAM and 2 internal hard drives. The developer price for a new 2.66 Mac Pro Quad is only $1999 so I can get it for $499 plus tax plus extra RAM.

That is why I don't care if an Apple computer is "upgradeable"... I upgrade by buying a new one
  • Reply 12 of 34
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    i think it's better and much more realistic than all the weirdos that spend 5 hours cleaning their rooms plus another 2+ doing that "see through desktop background" trick and then going on to post "sexy!" or "clean!" in response to other peoples postings like it's a friggin car modifications board or something (not that i've been on macnn before or anything).

runon sentence make the world turn, beyotch
  • Reply 13 of 34
    So, there's just one actual MacPro owner on the boards, and he bought his in person rather than online. Now, I see where the frustration in the "Share your MacPro ship date" forum is coming from...
  • Reply 14 of 34
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    meelash

Quote:

So, there's just one actual MacPro owner on the boards, and he bought his in person rather than online.

Yeah. No wonder no one else is posting pics.

Hey Placebo, make sure you post some pics of your Mac Pro when you get it in September

I bought my first Mac (Powerbook) about a year before the MacBook came out with the same plan as Lundy (sell it on Ebay to pay for a MacBook Pro, and so on). The powerbook still does everything that I need, so I decided to keep it.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda

meelash

Yeah. No wonder no one else is posting pics.

Hey Placebo, make sure you post some pics of your Mac Pro when you get it in September

I bought my first Mac (Powerbook) about a year before the MacBook came out with the same plan as Lundy (sell it on Ebay to pay for a MacBook Pro, and so on). The powerbook still does everything that I need, so I decided to keep it.

hell, my three yr old 12" PB is still going strong for me. I even play Halo and UT on it regularly...
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Here's mine. Sorry about the mess...

• Reply 17 of 34
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikethomson

Here's mine. Sorry about the mess...

What do you do with that setup, launch rockets with it?

I like it.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyj

I like it.

play Global Thermonuclear War
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

A CRT and LCD together for desktop spanning? Ehhhhh.....

I also commend you for having all 5 speakers of your surround sound system directly in front of you.

They're analog input, with which Apple only outputs 2 channels for (ergo: all speakers play the same sound no matter what).

I love that flight control setup, btw.

Wait until I get my 4th monitor.. oh yes, it will be rad.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyj

I like it.

Nah, just animate them 8)