How's your MBP latch??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just curious if anyone found their MBP latch a pain in the butt to open. I find it really hard to push in enough to get the lid to pop. Now, I did take my MBP in for repair of the whine issue and that the casing seems to have a slight warping in the front. I wasn't sure if this was related at all or it truley is just annoying to open. Since I bought a refurb I figured I wouldn't complain about the warping issue, but the repair guys said I should have said something right away. Now that it has come about, I have a feeling that my not complaining is going to bite me in the butt.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    refurb or not it should still be under warranty. I tend to hold refurbs to a higher standard since they've supposedly been individually inspected, unlike a regular new one off the line.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron

I was just curious if anyone found their MBP latch a pain in the butt to open. I find it really hard to push in enough to get the lid to pop. Now, I did take my MBP in for repair of the whine issue and that the casing seems to have a slight warping in the front. I wasn't sure if this was related at all or it truley is just annoying to open. Since I bought a refurb I figured I wouldn't complain about the warping issue, but the repair guys said I should have said something right away. Now that it has come about, I have a feeling that my not complaining is going to bite me in the butt.

My latch seems a bit quirky. At times, I can just press the release with my finger and it will pop open. Other times, it seems like I need to stick my fingernail in there to press it in far enough to get it to pop open.

Not to change the subject, but my power button seems to have to be pressed awfully hard for it to turn on? I mean, I feel it click when I press down, but nothing happens. So I press again, harder and then it starts to power on.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    I hope to see my responses about the latch to get a better idea.

In regards to your power button, maybe it is length of time not how hard you are holding it. I think I came across the same issue, but came to realize you have to hold it down for 1 sec or more. I would test it out, but I am still awaiting the return of my MBP. Unfortunately I am stuck using a Dell.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron

I hope to see my responses about the latch to get a better idea.

In regards to your power button, maybe it is length of time not how hard you are holding it. I think I came across the same issue, but came to realize you have to hold it down for 1 sec or more. I would test it out, but I am still awaiting the return of my MBP. Unfortunately I am stuck using a Dell.

WRT the power button, that is correct. The proper method is to hold it down until you hear an audible response from the computer.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

WRT the power button, that is correct. The proper method is to hold it down until you hear an audible response from the computer.

At home now and just did that. Held the power button down with a normal (light) touch and it started up fine. Thanks. Sorry about hijacking the thread.

Good luck Cam'ron!