Panther server connection

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a problem with an Powerbook G4 that won't connect to a remote server (the server is the Mac Mini that I've mentioned 2 weekes ago and it works GREAT even if it handles only 10 users at a time)

The thing is that it seems to be only this computer's problem because all the other Panther powerred G5 iMacs and G4 Powerbooks connect having no difficulties.

The actual error is that when I connect to the Mini Mac server, it is able to see the server, but when I enter the user and password it displays that round multicolor ball giving the impression that is connecting. However it doesn't connect at all.

There are some shortcuts placed in the finder window (lower left side, just under the home directory type of shortcut) that go directly to the server. I've used this shortcuts until few days ago and they worked fine.

Can someone tell me what to do to be able to connect to that server (the server is on LAN and I haven't tried to exceed the 10 max connections at the same time)

10x

PS: A few months ago I've had a somehow similar problem with an iMac G5 (also using Panther) when trying to connect to a server (wich was on the internet not LAN). I had this kind of shortcuts than too. Also I've had the user and password in my keychain. The thing is that at that time it seemed that the user and password saving damaged my keychain in some manner. I reinstalled everything and didn't saved anymore the user and password and I didn't have that problem again. Could this be the case now also?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    You do the same thing on the PowerBook G4 that works on the others.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I've had so many problems with shortcuts to server volumes ever since OS X came out. Sometimes the problem was solvable by using only static IP addresses on every computer, sometimes a simple reboot helped, but other times there was just no explanation why it wouldn't work.

All the time, though, the problems occurred when I tried to connect to the server via the AFP protocol (Apple FileSharing Protocol), e.g. using command-K in Finder and then entering only the IP address of the server, then entering username and password etc.

Since I have moved to connecting only via the (Windows) SMB protocol, it works like a charm. Aliasses to SMB volumes never failed again! Enable Windows Sharing on your Mac mini server, select the accounts which should have access to the server via SMB, then enter the following into the "connect to server" box:

smb://IP_address_of_server/volume_name

Then a window appears wher you must enter username and password, and that was it!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    I had a problem with printing over the network where the wrong password was saved in the keychain and it gave an error when trying to connect to the printer because the password was incorrect. To fix this, you just open Keychain Viewer, find the offending keychain item and put the correct username & password in. Or delete the keychain item if you want to enter the password manually every time.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker

I've had so many problems with shortcuts to server volumes ever since OS X came out. Sometimes the problem was solvable by using only static IP addresses on every computer, sometimes a simple reboot helped, but other times there was just no explanation why it wouldn't work.

All the time, though, the problems occurred when I tried to connect to the server via the AFP protocol (Apple FileSharing Protocol), e.g. using command-K in Finder and then entering only the IP address of the server, then entering username and password etc.

Since I have moved to connecting only via the (Windows) SMB protocol, it works like a charm. Aliasses to SMB volumes never failed again! Enable Windows Sharing on your Mac mini server, select the accounts which should have access to the server via SMB, then enter the following into the "connect to server" box:

smb://IP_address_of_server/volume_name

Then a window appears wher you must enter username and password, and that was it!

Wow, thank you very much.

I have a question, how do I select the accounts that should have access to the server via SMB, I mean where from?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Sorry for the double post, but it works. The "select account" feature is available only for the Tiger OS. Lucky for me, the Mini Mac has Tiger.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

I had a problem with printing over the network where the wrong password was saved in the keychain and it gave an error when trying to connect to the printer because the password was incorrect. To fix this, you just open Keychain Viewer, find the offending keychain item and put the correct username & password in. Or delete the keychain item if you want to enter the password manually every time.

I have a problem with the printers also, I can't believe it.

The thing is that my printers are on LAN and they are not password protected. I can't find any printer in my keychain.

What form should their name have?

I have a Laser Jet 3700 color and a Laser Jet 2420.

Could I connect to them using the same smb trick? and if so how I find out their IP and identity on my LAN? Some connection tips would be very useful.

10x alot guys.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

Sorry for the double post, but it works. The "select account" feature is available only for the Tiger OS. Lucky for me, the Mini Mac has Tiger.

The thing is that my printers are on LAN and they are not password protected. I can't find any printer in my keychain.

Could I connect to them using the same smb trick? and if so how I find out their IP and identity on my LAN? Some connection tips would be very useful.

10x alot guys.

Can you give more details? Can you discover the printers in the add new printer dialog?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Yes I am able to see them in the "Add new printer dialog" on both Apple talk and Rendevous protocols.

However, after I add them, when I try to print something in Word it says that no printer is available in "Printer Studio".
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

10x alot guys.

You're welcome.

Concerning those printers: as I see, both of them are PostScript capable printers, that means that remote printing should work. The printer drivers for both printers should be included at least in Tiger. Otherwise you have to install the drivers for both printers on every machine you own... Printing via SMB (usually) works only if the printers are directly connected to the Mac mini (via USB), but you probably won't need that.

Did both printers come with Ethernet built-in? If so, you should be able to connecto to them from the Mac mini using Printer Utility --> Add --> More printers... --> select "IP Printing" (not AppleTalk or Bonjour) from the pull-down menu. Enter the printer's IP address (if it already has one; if not, define one using the HP tools that came with your printer. Check the HP manual) and select the right printer model from the lists below. Repeat for the second printer.

Now try printing one test page (e.g. a webpage from safari). Do both printers work now on the Mac mini? If so, turn on Printer Sharing in the Fax&Printer control panel. Other Macs should then be able to print to these printers as well (in Tiger, there is even a radio box to tick whether or not the other Macs should list printers connected to other computers - the Mac mini - as well).

If it's not working, try connecting both printers to the Mac mini using USB. Then try printing. If that works, enable Printer Sharing (see above). Other Macs now should see them as well. And ta-daa, your Mac mini is now a printer server as well!

Usually, HP PostScript printers work quite well if you're using the IP-Printing trick and not Bonjour or AppleTalk (which the HPs don't like). Over USB, printing should be no problem at all. Just be sure to select the right printer model.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

You're welcome.

Concerning those printers: as I see, both of them are PostScript capable printers, that means that remote printing should work. The printer drivers for both printers should be included at least in Tiger. Otherwise you have to install the drivers for both printers on every machine you own... Printing via SMB (usually) works only if the printers are directly connected to the Mac mini (via USB), but you probably won't need that.

Did both printers come with Ethernet built-in? If so, you should be able to connecto to them from the Mac mini using Printer Utility --> Add --> More printers... --> select "IP Printing" (not AppleTalk or Bonjour) from the pull-down menu. Enter the printer's IP address (if it already has one; if not, define one using the HP tools that came with your printer. Check the HP manual) and select the right printer model from the lists below. Repeat for the second printer.

Now try printing one test page (e.g. a webpage from safari). Do both printers work now on the Mac mini? If so, turn on Printer Sharing in the Fax&Printer control panel. Other Macs should then be able to print to these printers as well (in Tiger, there is even a radio box to tick whether or not the other Macs should list printers connected to other computers - the Mac mini - as well).

If it's not working, try connecting both printers to the Mac mini using USB. Then try printing. If that works, enable Printer Sharing (see above). Other Macs now should see them as well. And ta-daa, your Mac mini is now a printer server as well!

Usually, HP PostScript printers work quite well if you're using the IP-Printing trick and not Bonjour or AppleTalk (which the HPs don't like). Over USB, printing should be no problem at all. Just be sure to select the right printer model.

First I want to state that the Mac in trouble is still the G4 Powerbook, the printers work fine on Mac Mini via LAN.

The printers have a Ethernet built-in. This is the way they are connected to our LAN. They are plugged directly in the switch. The guy that installed them, came and installed them on each Mac in the office with the cds. The thing is that I don't want to print via the Mac Mini.

Is there any way I can fix this by reinstalling the drivers with the cds myself? What is the best protocol that you recommend to install this printers with the cds? IP-printing?

Also, what could have gone wrong with the currently installed drivers on the Powerbook G4 that could have caused this?

10x again
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

First I want to state that the Mac in trouble is still the G4 Powerbook, the printers work fine on Mac Mini via LAN.

The printers have a Ethernet built-in. This is the way they are connected to our LAN. They are plugged directly in the switch. The guy that installed them, came and installed them on each Mac in the office with the cds. The thing is that I don't want to print via the Mac Mini.

Is there any way I can fix this by reinstalling the drivers with the cds myself? What is the best protocol that you recommend to install this printers with the cds? IP-printing?

Also, what could have gone wrong with the currently installed drivers on the Powerbook G4 that could have caused this?

10x again

OK, so it's only the PowerBook causing trouble. I would first create a new user on that computer and see if the printing problems happen too when logging in to that new user.

If the problem persists, something deep down in the system is wrong. In that case, usually it is not worth looking further into the problem. Make a backup of all important stuff on that computer and then reinstall OS X (with the Archive & Reinstall option). Re-install the printer software, too, and all should be OK again. After the reinstall, your printers should be selectable through Bonjour with no problem.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

OK, so it's only the PowerBook causing trouble. I would first create a new user on that computer and see if the printing problems happen too when logging in to that new user.

Good.

Quote:

If the problem persists, something deep down in the system is wrong. In that case, usually it is not worth looking further into the problem. Make a backup of all important stuff on that computer and then reinstall OS X (with the Archive & Reinstall option). Re-install the printer software, too, and all should be OK again. After the reinstall, your printers should be selectable through Bonjour with no problem.

Not so good, i think it is almost always hasty to advice a ...er ... reinstall.

I'd do the following first:

1. Clean all caches (user & system), maybe Onyx will help you.

Onyx also cleans the font cache, which is

sometimes the culprit of many system malfunctions.

2. perform the usual houskeeping stuff first

(repairing privileges, resetting Parameter Ram etc.)

3. Also, booting into OpenFirmware and resetting the NV-Ram frome there,

could be worth a try, (before you reinstall the entire system)

Good luck and cheers
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

Not so good, i think it is almost always hasty to advice a ...er ... reinstall.

I'd do the following first:

1. Clean all caches (user & system), maybe Onyx will help you.

Onyx also cleans the font cache, which is

sometimes the culprit of many system malfunctions.

2. perform the usual houskeeping stuff first

(repairing privileges, resetting Parameter Ram etc.)

3. Also, booting into OpenFirmware and resetting the NV-Ram frome there,

could be worth a try, (before you reinstall the entire system)

Good luck and cheers

Good point, Vox Barbara. Trying these steps as well usually is a good idea. But after my years of experience with HP printer drivers, I personally would save the hour it takes performing all the "maintenance stuff" and invest it into reinstalling the whole system. OR delete all the HP printer stuff (be sure to get every file!) and reinstall the printer drivers from scratch.

Wasn't recently pointed out somewhere in the forums that repairing permissions in OS X not always does good things, because it only resets the status of known files of the operating systems according to a list Apple defined somewhere in the system? Third-party stuff is not on that list, I guess. When I (being a Mac guy since 1989...) had problems in OS X, repairing permissions didn't help one single time, but YMMV. HP drivers and MS Office 2004 is where most of my problems came from.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    If it only takes an hour to reinstall, then you don't have a lot on your system. Repairing permissions is no way limited to Apple-produced software. Every software title installed on your system adds a file to one of your Receipts folders. This file contains a duplicate of the structure of its parent including the proper permissions. Whenever you repair permissions, the system looks into your Receipts folder. It resets permissions to the values stored in those receipts file for each respective parent software title.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

If it only takes an hour to reinstall, then you don't have a lot on your system. Repairing permissions is no way limited to Apple-produced software. Every software title installed on your system adds a file to one of your Receipts folders. This file contains a duplicate of the structure of its parent including the proper permissions. Whenever you repair permissions, the system looks into your Receipts folder. It resets permissions to the values stored in those receipts file for each respective parent software title.

I didn't say it takes me only one hour to reinstall, I meant save the additional hour for the maintenance stuff because it may not help solving the problem. I know how many hours people spend fiddling with a software-related problem (as I did myself several times), and in the end the problem is still there, still requiring a complete reinstall...

In an office environment, in my experience, the reinstall process takes no longer than 2 hours for an experienced person (if you have all the necessary system and application updates saved locally somewhere on a file server and your files backed up to external harddrives).

Oh, and thanks, Mr. me, for the plausible explanation concerning the Receipts folder and the permission repairing process. That makes sense, indeed. (But as I mentioned earlier, repairing permissions may not always help eliminating the problem.)