Travelling out of the UK with a big laptop

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi,

I have just purchased a 17" laptop and will be travelling out of the UK with it in a few days time. They wont let me on the plane because I have a Pakuma K3 laptop backpack, which you could fit your grandmother in almost.

What can I do? Is there anyone who will insure me for the laptop? (Cost over GBP2000)

or can I ship it seperately (and reliably)?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Jules

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Won't they let it on the plane if it's in your regular luggage? The security restrictions are only for carry-on luggage, right?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    DO NOT put anything of reasonable value in checked luggage. The people in airport security are a bunch of dirty thieves, and I can't tell you how many people I know who have had their luggage rooted through and iPods, laptops, etc, stolen.

It seems to me the problem is that your bag is too big to carry on. why not just stick your laptop in a smaller bag? You can probably buy a cheap bag for much less than the cost of shipping and insuring to Australia.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Yeah the only problem is that the laptop is physically too big (the bezel round the outside of the screen is very big) and the only laptop bag I could find that would fit it was the pakuma K3.

You're right, there is no way I would ever check it in. Your insurance is immediately invalid and you might as well kiss it goodbye.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Will they let the computer on-board without the bag ?? ... just put the Pakuma in your luggage, and carry the computer ono by itself.

If they don't let the computer on at all, then there's not much YOU can do.

Perhaps we just need to be a bit more agressive in meting out retribution to the terrorists who have brought all this upon us.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules

Hi,

I have just purchased a 17" laptop and will be travelling out of the UK with it in a few days time. They wont let me on the plane because I have a Pakuma K3 laptop backpack, which you could fit your grandmother in almost.

What can I do? Is there anyone who will insure me for the laptop? (Cost over GBP2000)

Jules

Are you talking about a Macbook Pro 17"? If so, this is a great sleeve for it. I bought one for my 15" MBP. I bought it at my local Apple store. It slides on easily and is a nice snug fit. Then you should be able to put it in an overhead compartment or under your seat. Also, the sleeve will probably still slide into your backpack after your flight.

It sucks that you would have to buy another case, but if you travel a lot, it may be worth it.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    I'm such an imposter - I have a sony vaio AR11s. Where Apple tries to keep theirs as small as possible, Sony didn't think of size with this, they put in everything then needed to and the size was whatever it turned out to be. As an engineer/musician I need the biggest screen I can get...

The other option was the macbook pro, but I have a mac mini, that'll do me for the time being.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules

Hi,

Jules

Yes, as SplineModel advised, NEVER, EVER, under *ANY* CIRCUMSTANCES pack a laptop, or *anything* of quick/easy resellable potential, in checked bags. Murphy's Law of Maximum Distress (and human nature being what it is) states that it will get damaged, or stolen. And not just in the UK, or anywhere else in the world. Here in the US, complaints against the TSA (Transportation Security Administration are legion. I even have my own bitter experience from a couple of years ago at LAX. My heavy duty samsonite suitcase was completely wrecked; when I finally recognized it (only because of a distinctive large brightly colored sticker) and retrieved it from the baggage carousel, it was bound with duct tape to hold it together, on examining it, several pieces of jewelry, a pack of CDS, and certain items of clothing were missing, and there was a single shoe, not belonging to me, in with my belongings. Airport "security" seems to employ perverts as well as thieves.

Does anyone know if it is possible to insure valuables against the criminality of personnel employed by government agencies? What is your recourse if your $3000 laptop gets stolen or destroyed? I have flown a number of times (since my incident) without incident, but once bitten, twice shy. Does "TSA", mean "Trash your bags: Steal your valuables: Assume no responsibility?". I have also heard about people who have had bags vandalized and belongings stolen, but are scared to lodge complaints. Ending up on a no-fly list is no fun.

Some links, randomly selected out of thousands on this issue:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...atch_list.html

http://www.wndu.com/news/012005/news_39508.php

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in643165.shtml
  • Reply 8 of 8
    luggage is only insuranced up to a certain amount, i don't recall the figure but i seem to recall it's not very much. they say you should never pack a laptop i your luggage