Classic or X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I don't know about anyone else, but i'm a major fan of OS 9 still. What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    OS9 was excellent.

OS X is, hands down, a better OS in my opinion. More robust, much more advanced for future development, and, y'know, still being developed.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I like OS 9 yes its a nice system and I remember hating osX for ages compared with os9, however it's a lot less stable than OSX. It would be nice to run it on my mac mini but I havn't heard of a way to do it, but in any case it would be tricky to get software. To be honest, since system 10.3 the performance in OSX has been good enough to negate any real reason to want to run OS9. now with 10.4 I think OSX is a vastly superior system overall. I did like the simplicity of the interface in os9, and the feel and responsiveness of it. Basically theres not really anything OS9 did that OSX doesn't now do or doesn't do (often quite significantly) better.

By the way I don't know why you write 8/9 since OS8 was a pile of crap, and shouldn't be lumped in with OS9
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Well, my point in lumping them was because they had a very simaler look and interface, though 8 was crap.

On a simaler subject, does anyone know what the OS 10 would have been like? (Not OSX, OS 10, I can't remember it's code name)
  • Reply 4 of 32
    you mean copland?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    yea , copland
  • Reply 6 of 32
    hmm although I did just hate on os8, I believe 8.6 was actually pretty good. I think it was very crashy before that though.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I have system 8 and extension conflicts are a real pain.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    anyway, anyone know about copland?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock

What do you want to know about Copland?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    What was it to be like?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    OS X, bitches.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Thanx
  • Reply 14 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    I almost jumped ship when I tried Linux in 1999. I was so fed up with system crashes and I was literally a week away from buying a PC with Windows/Linux. Then I got news about OS X and my faith was restored. I've never looked back since. I don't think I bothered with 10.0 - I think my first system was 10.1 and I tried to kill off OS 9 as quickly as I could.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    OS 9 was terrible and unfortunately is what most PC users think Macs still run.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Copland was supposed to be OS 8, and Gershwin, it's successor, to be OS 9.

That never happened. Fortunately, OS X is far superior to what any Copland-based OS would have been by know.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Someday, OS 11 will make us think OSX was crap.

Right now, OSX rules.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

OS 9 was terrible and unfortunately is what most PC users think Macs still run.

OS 9 was very good. It had fetures that OSX does not have such as different themes and sound for system actions, as well as the control strip. I also like the feel of the interface, because OSX seems reminiscent of windows to me. I do use OSX though, and I don't mind it, but I like OS 9 better
  • Reply 19 of 32
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

OS 9 was very good. It had fetures that OSX does not have such as different themes and sound for system actions, as well as the control strip. I also like the feel of the interface, because OSX seems reminiscent of windows to me. I do use OSX though, and I don't mind it, but I like OS 9 better

Well I remember different colors for control objects but no theme support out-of-the-box, it was 3rd party. OS X has themes, also offered through 3rd party tools. Same is true for system sounds. Wasn't a fan of the control strip so I'm not aware of any OS X alternatives.

While I become a Mac user late in OS 9's life (2000) I used it into Mac OS X 10.1. Then after hating the stability issues with OS 9 I began using Classic. When things froze up, and they did, only Classic would crash and not the whole system. So I used classic for most of my workflow for a while until more apps were carbonized.

OS 9 had its moments (easy to backup too) but its time has pasted and I'm glad Mac OS X is what it is today.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

I have system 8 and extension conflicts are a real pain.

The good old days of extension conflicts, I almost forgot. Nothing made one into a local mac genius quicker than resolving conflicts for new users.

I did like the ability of placing folders as tab at the bottom of the screen.