Most useful feature of leopard so far

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
so we've all seen the preview, some lucky buggers have the developer preview, but what feature is going to be the most useful? in my opinion, i will be using spaces a hell of a lot, mainly because i never seem to have enough space, and time machine, but thats just eye candy.

whats your view?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd have to say Boot Camp, but since that's already out as beta maybe it doesn't count. Web clip looks like it has potential, but I'd like to see it in action before I judge. Screen Sharing with iChat looks like it could be very useful too.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    it's going to have to be time machine for me..... I have overwritten files by copying and pasting, or doing the save as.... and replacing another file.... (twice in the last couple of days) if I had time machine.... back I go, and boom... i am back... and saved 30 min. of lost work!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Time Machine or Spaces.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think it's spaces because it looks really well implemented and makes a lot of sense. Really, when you have a good deal of windows open, it's because you're working on several seperate projects. So now I can have my chat and iTunes in a "distraction" space, Microsoft Word documents open in my "final essay" space, and some wikipedia articles and other resources open in my "research" space, for example.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    64bit OS if you're doing any kind of Pro work. QT is heavily used in most people that use macs.

I would probably benifit from Mail & new dashboard wiget the most at work. Reloading stupid web schedule is...how do you say, dashboard inproved.

I kind of like voices too, but depends how many personalities they will crunch out.

You can applescript those you know. Like whenever you get a new mail, the text to speech will read out the subject.

It's the little things that are often needed, because we work on little things mostly.

Could care less for time machine myself, but I know serveral people who would be greatful.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Time Machine

But if the UI changes are significant then I would probably throw my support there. The thought of Rez Indy makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

I think overall there are going to be so many improvements the sum of the parts is going to be great.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I have changed this comment
  • Reply 8 of 31
    There are too many to list, just from what we know now.

Rez Independence

iChat (and all of the goodies there)

Spaces

Time Machine

Those are my favorites right now. I would also say that more than likely that the Finder is going to be revamped from the ground up, and THAT is going to be killer.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    The thing I love about space is that it's not a traditional and dumb virtual desktop that segregates absolutely everything right down to, say, the taskbar or the Dock almost as if you were switching between user accounts. Some people may have wanted that behavior...but I think that's a rather absurd implementation. Space does exactly what I would want it to do...seperate the windows that never need any interactions.

The combination of Spaces and Exposé should almost eliminate any window management problem.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

The thing I love about space is that it's not a traditional and dumb virtual desktop that segregates absolutely everything right down to, say, the taskbar or the Dock almost as if you were switching between user accounts. Some people may have wanted that behavior...but I think that's a rather absurd implementation. Space does exactly what I would want it to do...seperate the windows that never need any interactions.

The combination of Spaces and Exposé should almost eliminate any window management problem.

Yup Apple just cost themselves some ACD 30" sales
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Spring loaded folders in the dock. been wanting this feature for awhile now.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Time Machine for me as it will help save my bacon
  • Reply 13 of 31
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    sorry if this has been brought up in other threads, but how is Spaces different from the existing virtual desktop solutions out there? I've never used any kind of VD system before, keep in mind.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Not that different, really. Just well integrated into OS X, perhaps better than other solutions.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac

sorry if this has been brought up in other threads, but how is Spaces different from the existing virtual desktop solutions out there? I've never used any kind of VD system before, keep in mind.

One thing that you can do with Spaces is drag one window to another "Space", which I have yet to see anywhere, even on the Linux side of the fence.

Apple and BASF are very similar in this regards: We don't make virtual desktops, we make virtual desktops better
  • Reply 16 of 31
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty

Spring loaded folders in the dock. been wanting this feature for awhile now.

Same mindset.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sringloaded Dock? Finally! Excellent news.

I'd have to go with Time Machine because I just KNOW it will save my ASS.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston

There are too many to list, just from what we know now.

Rez Independence

We know resolution independence?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

We know resolution independence?

Sortakinda.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker