Seagate 5400.3 SATA drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When I bought my MacBook Pro, I wasn't willing to pay Apple's extortionate prices for upgrading to a larger HD, preferring to wait for larger drives to come out which I would install myself.

Seagate's 5400.3 160GB SATA is too attractive to wait any longer. They even appear to have a version with built in flash memory to store the more commonly used files on for faster access, quicker boot and lower battery useage. Thing is can I find any 5400.3 SATA drives for sale in the UK? No.

Anybody have any idea when these drives (both the standard version and the flash memory version) will make an appearance? Also any idea on the price premium for the flash memory version?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Look on ebuyer.com - I'm pretty sure I saw it on there, and it's a UK site!

David
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Unfortunately they have the ATA version.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    The SATA version have only been available in the US for like two weeks ago in US. AFAIK.

I'm afraid in the UK we have to wait!

I reckon Dabs might get them in a few weeks. N.B the price in UK is gonna be £150 I reckon. cf. Dabs at the moment is £90 for Momentus.2 120GB SATA.

You can buy the Momentus 5400.3 160GB on eBay from the US...

I don't know anything about the flash stuff, needless to say I doubt it will be here soon. Where did you se it for sale in US?

Quote:

Momentus 5400 PSD (flash), Momentus 5400.2 FDE and Momentus 7200.2 are scheduled to ship in the first half of calendar 2007

not yet not yet!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jootec from Mars

Unfortunately they have the ATA version.

Nuts - sorry if I got your hopes up.

David
  • Reply 5 of 5
    addoaddo Posts: 1member
    I've been trying to get hold of one of these or the Hitachi 160Gb....It would seem that there aren't any in the country as of yet...But I've found that over in Norway (and Sweden it seems) they have the Hitachi by the bucket load....But they won't deliver outside of Norway.

I've also noticed that komplett.co.uk do not even list either the Seagate or Hitachi 160Gb SATA drives but their Norwegian site does AND indeed have stock of the Hitachi drive. I've been trying to get hold of a new drive for my Macbook so that I can, albeit begrudgingly, install bootcamp.