What would an Apple phone be like? . . . Probably a lot like this.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
NTT's NEC 3.5G Phone

Inelegant, but much more powerful than anything to date. I would guess that Apple would use their own POSIX-based OS, make it a lot more elegant, and in all likelihood power it with one of the new Cortex-based OMAPs. But it goes to show that an Apple phone would be worthless on a network without EVDO or similar, meaning Verizon or Sprint in the USA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    It would be nothing like that because that thing is hidious.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    That phone just looks really complicated. An iPhone would look very simple and elegant.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It goes without saying that the Apple phone would be elegant. I refer to the feature set and capabilities, which should be obvious enough to the literate.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    There's Netgear's wifi Skype phone - vaguely applesque ...

http://www.skypestyle.com/images/netgear-skype.jpg
  • Reply 5 of 32
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Basically an ipod with phone abilities and some numbered buttons is my guess. Nothing real special, just another reason to carry your ipod with you. I don't really see what the big deal is with all the hype.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

It would be nothing like that because that thing is hidious.

Agreed.

The Apple phone will be oversimplified compared to what we're used to in our mobiles now - but that's Apple's style and the features will come with time.

The Netgear looks closer and it's likely to be VoIP with iChat and iTunes installed.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Any phone from Apple should be in the smart phone category. So it would have to intergrate iCal, Address Book, iTunes, a browser ( Safari lite) and bluetooth. The minimalist would be in the controls. I also look for voice activation for certain basic and advanced functions, so most buttons will not be needed. The real question will be which provider they will team with, Verizon, Cingular or T-Mobile. I would also expect that they would require it to be on fast networks. Nothing is worst than slow downloads or no reception.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg

I would also expect that they would require it to be on fast networks. Nothing is worst than slow downloads or no reception.

Well, that knocks out T-Mobile. They have awesome customer service, but their technology leaves some to be desired.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg

The real question will be which provider they will team with, Verizon, Cingular or T-Mobile. I would also expect that they would require it to be on fast networks. Nothing is worst than slow downloads or no reception.

It seems very likely that the answer will actually be Sprint. Not only is Sprint pretty good about not crippling phones the way Verizon does, but they have the biggest 3G network. They also plan to have a big 3G+ network by the end of the year, which incidentally would link up well with the rumored release of the Apple phone.

Press Release
  • Reply 10 of 32
    The best one I have seen (a fake) is still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4296e...=Apple%20phone

While this one won't make it to market it does show what can be done.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    got board a while ago so i tried my hand at an iPhone

here's my result:

first time posting a picture to a forum, hope i did it right
  • Reply 12 of 32
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    That's a nice picture, but there are two things I don't expect.

The first is that it's a flip phone. Apple's going to need plenty of space for components, and flip phones need four walls of plastic (wasted space). The second is more obvious. Rotary dial? I'd almost bet that most people younger than twenty haven't ever used a rotary dial. The other thing that comes to mind isn't something I don't expect, but is more of a question: why are all phone cameras on the back of the phone? Does anyone actually use them for taking any sort of meaningful pictures? I wouldn't be surprised if apple put the camera on front of the phone. Then you have a mobile iSight.

Speaking of rotary dials, my parents have a 40+ year old, olive green AT&T rotary dial phone that works like a champ. It looks like in belongs in a cold war military barracks. It has unpackaged, monolithic transistors in it, and weighs at least 2 kilos.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Great looking phone

Although I don't like flip-phones, This one is pretty cool. especially the Mac notebook hinge is a sweet detail.

One question though: How do you email or SMS with it?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    well it wasn't a really serious thing, i just thought it would be fun to see apple make a phone and have to dial using an modified clickwheel like a rotary dial, and of course the iSight, and the only reason its a flip phone is because i wanted it to open with the style of their laptops

One question though: How do you email or SMS with it?

do you really honestly think i thought about taht??

i really doubt they would make a flip phone and honestly it might even make it less impressive if it were a flip phone

and on the note of rotary dials

im under twenty and i have used a rotary phone. i actually have a really sweet one sitting right next to me that is who knows how old (i believe it was either my grandfather's of great grandfather origionally) but its pretty neat. its a one peice phone that has the rotary dial and the button for haning up and such on the bottom so when you pick up the whole phone you're on the line and you turn it over to dial then wwhen you want to hang up you just set the thing down. it's actualy a really light phone too
  • Reply 15 of 32
    I think this is more like what an Apple phone would look like:

• Reply 16 of 32
    Wow, that's one spectacular iPhone you've got there!

I hope the real one turns out just as sleek and unique as yours. Nice work!
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

I think this is more like what an Apple phone would look like:

Nice job!

But, honestly, that doesn't look to me like Apple's style. Apple tends to have a more seamless and smooth design for their products, and more rounded edges.

I dicided to give a shot at a non-flip phone because I really wouldnt expect a flip phone from Apple. One with the rotary clickwheel, of course:

and a serious one (that I personally think is really cool):

• Reply 18 of 32
    am I the only one who think it will not have so much Mp3 bias? or.. iPod + phone..

at least i think it would be more Phone + iPod...

apple comes out with a product that would kill their own products?..

how are they going to change the consumer's idea from

'oh, i don't need mp3 play back on a phone, cus i have an ipod"

to

"oh, i have an iPhone, i need an iPod, too.

?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    This is a QUICK mockup based on the information posted by the rumor mills and the patents apple currently registered. I seriously think as weird as it looks, it could be what it really looks like... Look the patent next to it ...

Any thoughts on if they would actually release this beast?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gatesjon

This is a QUICK mockup based on the information posted by the rumor mills and the patents apple currently registered. I seriously think as weird as it looks, it could be what it really looks like... Look the patent next to it ...

Any thoughts on if they would actually release this beast?

I like the rainbow logo and the OS 8 fonts. Very classy