Airline may restrict use of Apple notebooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The world's leading long distance airline is seeking advice on whether it should place restrictions on the use of Apple notebooks on its aircraft, following the Mac maker's a recall of 1.8 million notebook batteries on Thursday.

A spokesperson for Australia-based Qantas airline told APC that the company was seeking further information on the precise risk posed by the batteries in Apple PowerBooks and iBooks, and whether they posed the same risk as Dell's recently recalled 4.1 million batteries.

"We have put limitations on Dell computers and at this stage we are awaiting further information from Apple," said the spokesman.

Apple's product recall affects only batteries that are compatible with discontinued notebook models, specifically the iBook G4 and PowerBook G4. However, as noted by APC, owners of the company?s new MacBook Pro notebooks may face opposition from Qantas flight attendants if restrictions are passed; the MacBook Pro looks almost identical to the PowerBook G4.

Yesterday, Qantas said that Dell notebook users could only use their laptop on a plane on battery power, or with the battery removed and the unit plugged into the power outlet.

Apple's recall of 1.8 million notebook batteries is the second largest in consumer electronics history, behind only Dell's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

MacBook Pro notebooks may face opposition from Qantas flight attendants if restrictions are passed; the MacBook Pro looks almost identical to the PowerBook G4

Except for where it says "MacBook Pro" on the computer...
  • Reply 2 of 66
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
  • Reply 3 of 66
    You're assuming that reading is a required skill.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The days are numbered for all carry-on items. I'm telling you.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    the ramp guys may take one of them home out of some ones bag now.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood

You're assuming that reading is a required skill.

Now this deserves to be somewhere in the list of top 10 quotes of all time.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The days are counted for lithion batteries anyway. Let's hope this explosive risk helps the companies that use batteries to invest in the researching groups that already have better alternatives almost ready, just searching for investors to aid them in fulfilling the development.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas

The days are counted for lithion batteries anyway. Let's hope this explosive risk helps the companies that use batteries to invest in the researching groups that already have better alternatives almost ready, just searching for investors to aid them in fulfilling the development.

I agree completely. Hydrogen fuel cells would be an excelent replacement. No need to charge them, and free water! I mean, who HASN'T gotten thirsty on a 13 hour intercontinental flight?
  • Reply 10 of 66
    This just in, people with appendixes that are still intact will no longer be allowed to board aircrafts. The appendix may explode in-flight with little warning.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

I agree completely. Hydrogen fuel cells would be an excelent replacement. No need to charge them, and free water! I mean, who HASN'T gotten thirsty on a 13 hour intercontinental flight?

Heh. Hydrogen fuel cells would probably be the last thing airlines would let you board with.

Or were you joking?
  • Reply 12 of 66
    FOX NEWS ALERT: APPLE USERS ARE TERRORISTS.

Next up on the O'Reilly factor we are going to discuss why those commies over at Apple Computer should be banned from all air travel. Hey, don't feel bad! If Steve Jobs is such a smart guy then maybe he can build an iPod that can fly them all to Cuba so they can give Castro mouth to mouth.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

The days are numbered for all carry-on items. I'm telling you.

I agree with you completely. We're one, maybe two, scares away from this happening. They'll realize that the only way TSA can afford (financially) to guarantee that no dangerous things get onto planes is to simply ban everything except wallets, cell phones, and keys (and even those will be scrutinized). This will undoubtedly suck, but I think I'd prefer safety to risk if more terror plots arise, with more ingenious ways to sneak things on. The past few times I flew, the security screeners barely glanced at the x-ray screen while checking bags. Last time, they didn't even look at it.

The airlines would love a total carry-on ban too, and not just for safety reasons -- they'd have a complete monopoly all forms of in-flight entertainment, food, and comfort.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface

FOX NEWS ALERT: APPLE USERS ARE TERRORISTS.

Next up on the O'Reilly factor we are going to discuss why those commies over at Apple Computer should be banned from all air travel. Hey, don't feel bad! If Steve Jobs is such a smart guy then maybe he can build an iPod that can fly them all to Cuba so they can give Castro mouth to mouth.

hahaha, I was just thinking that.... they'd probably throw in something about how Cupertino is on the "Left Coast"
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanx27

I agree with you completely. We're one, maybe two, scares away from this happening. They'll realize that the only way TSA can afford (financially) to guarantee that no dangerous things get onto planes is to simply ban everything except wallets, cell phones, and keys (and even those will be scrutinized). This will undoubtedly suck, but I think I'd prefer safety to risk if more terror plots arise, with more ingenious ways to sneak things on. The past few times I flew, the security screeners barely glanced at the x-ray screen while checking bags. Last time, they didn't even look at it.

The airlines would love a total carry-on ban too, and not just for safety reasons -- they'd have a complete monopoly all forms of in-flight entertainment, food, and comfort.

I wouldn't be surprised to see private airlines REALLY start taking off... no pun intended. really.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    The bigwigs at Qantas are apparently not top guns when it comes to brainpower. Expert after expert has said that the fire suppression systems on commercial aircraft are more than adequate to extinguish a battery fire in the cabin.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Heh. Hydrogen fuel cells would probably be the last thing airlines would let you board with.

Or were you joking?

Mmmm.... sorta.

Hydrogen is a lot safer than people think. Yeah, it burns. It burns very well. It really doesn't explode though.... in an enclosed environment such as the artificial atmosphere in an airplain, a slow leak of a large source of hydrogen would likely go more or less unnoticed (does hydrogen make your voice squeek like helium? I think it should... Some one go find out) and could build up to a dangerous amount. Same goes for Carbond Dioxide though.

From what I've read, one of the major goals in fuel cell research is to solidify hydrogen in its storage device. When this is acomplished in a marketable fashion, I think hydrogen will become very attractive, and would end up being less hazardous than a litium battery on a charger.

By the way, an example of why hydrogen isn't really that dangerous:

Say you have a high pressure gas storage cylinder. Now fill that cylinder completely with Hydrogen, making sure to exclude all (or as close to all as possible) oxygen.

Suddenly, there is a spark inside the cylinder! (god must have done it. )

What happens?

Answer: Nothing.

Without oxygen, or temperatures high enough to produce nuclear fusion (talkin Sun hot here) no reaction will occur.

fun with science!

*EDIT* holy crap, did I just spell airplane 'airplain'????
  • Reply 18 of 66
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

I wouldn't be surprised to see private airlines REALLY start taking off... no pun intended. really.

New Airport Security Procedures
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanx27

heck, let's just put passengers in small 3x3 cages with a small bottle of water.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Except for where it says "MacBook Pro" on the computer...

Dear Tur'ist Sympothyser:

It doesnt matter, if she says "close the powerbook" and you say "it is a macbook pro, no battery problem." she can just have the air martial arrest you, you tur'ist scumbag!

Read that thur Patrit act...your ass is grass bro!

Yours Truly:

George W. (aint getting no oval office) Bush