"Santa Rosa"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Before we go any further i know we only have "Napa" chipsets with Core Duo's in the MB and MBP lines at the moment

Ok i just want to clarify somethings about the upcoming Santa Rosa Chipsets

So at the moment we have the "Merom" Core 2 Duo Processor which i believe has 667Mhz FSB, correct me if i am wrong. These may be making there way into the MBP's in september but then again 6 months down the road there will be a new chipset "Santa Rosa".

So what i want to know is will the "Merom" in these "Santa Rosa" Chipsets be the same "Mermon" that you can buy on the market at the moment or will they be different???

Im a newb =)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Can you please help me even though im a newb
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wright_P

So what i want to know is will the "Merom" in these "Santa Rosa" Chipsets be the same "Mermon" that you can buy on the market at the moment or will they be different???

In short, it is a slightly different version of Merom.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wright_P

Same chip but in different packaging. So, for all intents and purposes, different.

Core 1/2 Duo mobile chips use Socket M in Napa systems while Core 2 Duo mobile chips will use Socket P in Santa Rosa systems. You will not be able to use Socket M chips in the new Santa Rosa systems due to this.

Intel will also likely release a new high end speed grade for the Santa Rosa platform: a 2.4 GHz C2D T7700 on 800 MHz FSB. The FSB will apparently by "dynamic" - it can be throttled.