Whats wrong with the finder??

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i hear, well read, that a lot of people dont like the finder. whats wrong with the finder?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    <commence floodgates opening>
  • Reply 2 of 46
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

<commence floodgates opening>

<prepares for "it ought to be Cocoa" posts>
  • Reply 3 of 46
    use quicksilver instead ^^
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

<prepares for "it ought to be Cocoa" posts>

it ought to be Cocoa
  • Reply 5 of 46
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yea! I get to be the first person to actually provide info!

FTP for starters.

That strange icon alignment bug

Responsiveness when opening folders. (Windows seems much faster)

meh. other stuff I learned to live with.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby

That strange icon alignment bug

If you mean what I think you mean, 10.4.7 fixed that.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yea, we are talking the same thing. My laptop still has a problem with new icons though.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Spotlight 2.0 should replace the Finder
  • Reply 9 of 46
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Spotlight 2.0 should replace the Finder

Yes, we want to type in the name of whatever we want so that Spotlight can locate 187 files with similar content for us.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me

Yes, we want to type in the name of whatever we want so that Spotlight can locate 187 files with similar content for us.

Ah cool! So you already know what's Spotlight 2.0 all about then? Care to tell us?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    thegarthegar Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

If you mean what I think you mean, 10.4.7 fixed that.

Yeah, but you can still (accidentally) put two icons on top of each other.

Or is that a feature ? \
  • Reply 12 of 46
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    All I can say in the matter is thank God for the command line,
  • Reply 13 of 46
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    It ought to be Java.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

It ought to be Java.

• Reply 15 of 46
    cougarcougar Posts: 55member
    John Siracusa says it best.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    But what is the deal with the Finder anyway ? Really. Everyone and his dog is asking for eons to Fix The F*cking Finder (FTFF). Is it such a huge task ? I mean, Apple rewrites everything they have. And those are sometimes quite big, like FCP Studio. Why not the Finder ? Are they afraid of something ?
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR

But what is the deal with the Finder anyway ? Really. Everyone and his dog is asking for eons to Fix The F*cking Finder (FTFF). Is it such a huge task ? I mean, Apple rewrites everything they have. And those are sometimes quite big, like FCP Studio. Why not the Finder ? Are they afraid of something ?

my guess is indecisiveness with regard to what they want to do with it. Either that or they are waiting until they develop the technologies that will be featured in the new finder before bothering to fix something they are only going to completely rebuild a year or so down the line.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It's pretty clear that the underlying logic of the current Finder is still the same code that was in Classic, although Carbonized to get it to run on Mac OS X. Example - Trash emptying takes 1000 times as long as it should, connecting to iDisk takes seconds instead of milliseconds considering the tiny amount of data it has to transfer, opening Applications folder takes 1-2 seconds or more because it reads it all off the disk instead of keeping a cached list in memory, etc. etc.

With all the sidebar and Spotlight and etc. added, it must be a real ball of spaghetti now. It will need a complete re-write and that fits in with the fact that we have not seen the Leopard Finder yet. As a separate application, they can just keep it hidden from the developers as long as they want and show it when they are ready.

I don't see how they could have tacked on any more cruft on this thing - I think they essentially had to do a ground-up rewrite to get rid of the Carbon kludges they put in there back before Carbon was mature enough to take advantage of Cocoa methods.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

i hear, well read, that a lot of people dont like the finder. whats wrong with the finder?

Doesn't come with enough internets.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    I don' think there's anything wrong with the Finder.

People(not to name names) can talk a lot of trash, but when they get down to the specifics of how to make it better, you can throw just as much criticism on their ideas as on the finder.

Just to top it off, it's easier said then done, and once you get your hands dirty, and the community rips it apart.

Whoever was trying to inflate their egos is going to drop to the dirt.

Apple has a problem with not just catering to the elitist that say, that expects it's the most natural thing in the world to have 10 mouse buttons, and command keys in 3 figures.

You have to balance a lot of things, including not relearning the Finder, just for the sake of some dreamer.

You can say the same about 3 button mouses. Just like I don't think I can live without it, I have to always techsupport with the phrase, "Try Right clicking".

We're slowly moving along, apple has more then enough problems intergrating spaces into the GUI-problem, Finder may or may not have a total revamp. Minor things here an there, and keep refining.