Apple Low on Greenpeace's Toxic Technology Score Card

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What do people think about how low Apple scored on the report Greenpeace released a couple of days ago?

I was kind of shocked. While I'm not an uber-geek, so I may not know (or didn't know) what some others might have known, I always figured Apple was rather progressive when it came to toxics and recycling. This changes things for me a bit.

While I still prefer Macs over PCs for all sorts of reasons, I'd feel a lot better if Apple were up towards the top of that list.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Yeah, I read that too. Supposedly Dell is near the top, but I've heard more concerns about Dell recycling than Apple.

Then again, maybe there's been more investigations into Dell due to their high visibility.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Actually, the top were companies that had a cleaner record. Greenpeace said they based their scoring on both recycling and on toxic materials.

You can see the specifics of the report here: http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/campai...panies-line-up

with pdfs available for more specifics. I guess Dell is among the tops, with Apple flopping down near Acer and Motorrola

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene

Yeah, I read that too. Supposedly Dell is near the top, but I've heard more concerns about Dell recycling than Apple.

Then again, maybe there's been more investigations into Dell due to their high visibility.

• Reply 3 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Here's a hint: all computers are full of toxic materials. Ranking them is a matter of quibbling. Designing a computer that is more efficient in power requirements or one that uses less material, is better for the environment than one that is not. Greenpeace has long been somewhat misguided. While it's great to support the environment, not everything can be taken at face value. It's quite possible that Apple is less qualified on the criteria in greenpeaces highly quantified process, but it's a giant leap to say that Apple is worse for the environment than many of the others on their list without much, much further study.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Chalk this one up to Apple not signing onto commitments it doesn't know it can achieve and all these other companies signing on for the PR...