Swap of stock MacBook HD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I am going to be purchasing a MacBook and was going to swap out the stock 60gb drive with a faster ATA 7200 drive rather than upgrading to the 5400 100gb. Are there any issues I should be aware of? I assume that the 7200 rpm drives will work fine. I am new to the Mac world and will be making the "switch"

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It'll work fine, assuming the drive you intend to purchase is Serial ATA.
  • Reply 1 of 15
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Remember that it is SATA you need.

EDIT: Chucker got there before me!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Also, it's a tight fit in there so make certain to double-triple check the dimensions.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    There's only two different sizes, either 12.5mm height (which will not fit) or 9.5mm, and the former is increasingly uncommon.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Why not just buy the MB with the size drive you want? My feeling is that buying a new MB and immediately swapping out the hard drive is an invitation to trouble… Sure it looks like a simple swap, but so many things could go wrong. Is saving a few dollars on an after market drive really worth it? I don’t think so.

Imagine the headache involved if the drive doesn’t fit correctly and you have to send it back... Imagine if you damage a connector and have to send in the MB for repair (I doubt a warranty would cover such work)... Now, imagine going for three or four weeks without the MB while it is in for service...

Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish. Saving a few dollars may seem like the smart thing to do, but you may end up outsmarting yourself.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm

Why not just buy the MB with the size drive you want?

Apple offers no 7200 RPM 100 GB option for the MB, only for the MBP.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    True enough, but if dutchboy really NEEDS a faster drive then maybe the MB isn?t really the machine for him.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

True enough, but if dutchboy really NEEDS a faster drive then maybe the MB isn?t really the machine for him.

Actually I was actually going to keep the existing drive in for a bit. I figured if I was going to spenf the money for the bigger drive out of the gate, why not get the faster drive at a later date. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the advice. I really like the size of the MB which is a bigger factor for me.

Dutchboy
  • Reply 9 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

True enough, but if dutchboy really NEEDS a faster drive then maybe the MB isn’t really the machine for him.

Maybe Apple isn't perfect for once, is that a possibility?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Maybe Apple isn't perfect for once, is that a possibility?

• Reply 11 of 15
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    you also pay twice for the storage, there is a cost to the 60 then you have to pay the $$$ for the replacement and time. Hmmmmm i thought the same thing but as prices for HD keep comiing down and with the possibility of hybrid ram/platter hd wait wait wait. or you could getit and put it in an enclosure, use for backup then replace later.

look at the cost of the 120 and is it a better deal to buy and replace the hd??? granted it's not 7200 but why the extra speed, if you need it why not get a backup hd and run programs with it??
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

you also pay twice for the storage, there is a cost to the 60 then you have to pay the $$$ for the replacement and time. Hmmmmm i thought the same thing but as prices for HD keep comiing down and with the possibility of hybrid ram/platter hd wait wait wait. or you could getit and put it in an enclosure, use for backup then replace later.

look at the cost of the 120 and is it a better deal to buy and replace the hd??? granted it's not 7200 but why the extra speed, if you need it why not get a backup hd and run programs with it??

The best buy ATM IMHO is the 120GB Seagate Momentus 5400rpm. You don't get so much extra going to 7200rpm drive in a laptop AFAIK only the cost and you lose the 20GB.

The old drive can be used as external USB for your enormous (fully legal) iTunes Library or back-ups etc. As a semi mobile solution.

The final point about replacing Hard drives in MacBooks is that it's so easy you just have to remember to stay awake and stick the new one in the right way up!.

and of course buying the right type helps (see above).
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I actually just swapped drives last night on my wife's MacBook.

I CCC'ed the existing drive onto the new Momentus 7200RPM 100Gig drive, and then swapped them. I haven't had the chance yet to run any benchmarks, but my wife says she noticed right away, and this is already w/ 2Gigs of RAM.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. You can either make the old drive into a FireWire external, or eBay it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

you also pay twice for the storage, there is a cost to the 60 then you have to pay the $$$ for the replacement and time.

I see little difference. Apple's upgrade pricing is like paying for a second hard drive at a hefty premium, but only getting one drive. At least with the DIY upgrade, you keep the old drive and the new drive is less than Apple's upgrade price and have enough money left over to put the old drive in a firewire enclosure. Apple's upgrade price for a 100GB is the price you can get a full 120GB free and clear, and the 120's price is more than what you would pay for a 160.