MPEG2 Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Maybe one of you guys can help me out. I have a video that was created by someone else & given to me in MPEG2 format. I have no problem playing it back in quicktime, but to maximize the compatibility I would like to convert it to a Quicktime mov. Problem is, even though Quicktime plays the video with the audio, when I attempt to convert it, it tells me the video has no audio track. I also get the same thing if I attempt to import it into Final Cut Pro. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quicktime is rubbish for MPEG export generally IMO. I don't think I've ever gotten an MPEG-2 file to play with audio using the MPEG-2 component let alone export. I can't believe you have to pay for such a bad plugin when VLC does it properly for free. Quicktime doesn't even support viewing widescreen with things like DV video even though MPEG streamclip (again free) does.

I end up just using ffmpegx for encoding DVDs. You can also separate the MPEG-2 into video and audio tracks by demuxing it with things like bbdemux or mpeg streamclip as mentioned. Mpeg streamclip can export straight to mov but I'm sure it uses quicktime to do it so you will probably have the same problem. I'd like to see mpeg2enc/mencoder/ffmpeg exporters made for Quicktime.