Multiple iMacs with Wireless keyboard and Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

We are going to be purchasing some iMacs for a new store. Is it possible to use wireless keyboards and mice with them if they are close together?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Will the keyboards interfere with each other?

Thanks

p.s. it is really annoying you can no longer configure an iMac with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    You can use multiple wireless input peripherals with multiple Macs without any interference problems. You merely need to pair each set of mice and keyboards with each specific computer. The user guide will walk you through it -- it's a very easy process.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    It's gonna be a fun day when the work jackass switches them all around to confuse people..... I sit here and bad mouth that guy, but I knwo I'd do it in a heartbeat too. Too great of an oppertunity to pass up...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Jeff

It's gonna be a fun day when the work jackass switches them all around to confuse people..... I sit here and bad mouth that guy, but I knwo I'd do it in a heartbeat too. Too great of an oppertunity to pass up...

Haha, that actually happened to me by accident. Someone was on the other side of the room with a wireless mouse and I didn't know the laptop I was using used to be his so it was paired to his mouse. Once in a while my mouse would go haywire and I thought my trackpad was screwed because it didn't happen all the time. Just deleting the pairing sorted it out.

Just remember that wireless devices still need wired devices to set them up.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenatek

Hey,

We are going to be purchasing some iMacs for a new store. Is it possible to use wireless keyboards and mice with them if they are close together?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Will the keyboards interfere with each other?

Bluetooth has about 79 channels available to it, so interference is unlikely, but you do have to pair up the devices to their host computer.

Quote:

p.s. it is really annoying you can no longer configure an iMac with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Do you mean you can't buy an iMac with the wireless upgrades or that you can't set them up without a wired keyboard?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Bluetooth has about 79 channels available to it, so interference is unlikely, but you do have to pair up the devices to their host computer.

Do you mean you can't buy an iMac with the wireless upgrades or that you can't set them up without a wired keyboard?

Thanks guys for the information.

I mean that you can't upgrade the standard keyboard and mouse to wireless ones in the online store anymore. They make you buy both.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenatek

Thanks guys for the information.

I mean that you can't upgrade the standard keyboard and mouse to wireless ones in the online store anymore. They make you buy both.

No, you can buy the keyboard or mouse separate of each other, it's just not availible as an option on the config page. You can find then separately elsewhere in the store.

Noah
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noah93

No, you can buy the keyboard or mouse separate of each other, it's just not availible as an option on the config page. You can find then separately elsewhere in the store.

Zanatek didn't mean that the cordless mouse and keyboard must be bought together. What was meant was that you can't forgo the corded units, so if you buy the wireless counterparts, you would have wired ones that would largely go unused. It used to be that you could pay less for the upgrade and not get the superfluous wired units.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Zanatek didn't mean that the cordless mouse and keyboard must be bought together. What was meant was that you can't forgo the corded units, so if you buy the wireless counterparts, you would have wired ones that would largely go unused. It used to be that you could pay less for the upgrade and not get the superfluous wired units.

oh, my mistake

Noah